Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I have been parking my Insight the last two winters. Starting it up at least once per month and letting it idle for 15-20 min. This January it turned over slow but did start. The 12v battery was dead in February. I replaced the 12v battery in June 2018 with a Walmart battery. Walmart replaced the battery last week and after being in the car 4 days the replacement battery went dead. I have had problems with Walmart batteries and last week bought a series 51 Optima yellow top.
After a 6 mile test run yesterday, I could smell a strong electrical short smell. When I got back home, the automatic shifter would not go out of park. I had to push the shifter release button to get the shifter to move. Sometimes the shifter works fine other times I have to push in the release button. The IMA system does not work and never has since I bought it about 2 years ago. The main ima battery switch is OFF.
When driving, the 12v battery puts out 13.70v at 2500rpm. At idle, it fluctuates between 11.78v and 12.54v.
I have not smelled this electrical short smell since I’ve owned it. I wondered if my DC to DC converter might be bad? Or the shifter lockout solenoid?
I was going to install Gazmatic rear shocks and Daewoo rear springs to try and help the jolting ride and hopping rear end but if I can’t figure out this electrical problem, I will have to park the car until I can.
Any ideas on what could be wrong?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Since your IMA battery is bad, do you have any IMA bypass setup or are you just running the car with the IMA switch OFF.

I have learned that just switching the IMA Off will work for a while (several months of driving for me) but when my IMA battery got so bad it would drain the 12v battery. This was resolved by implementing the IMA bypass mod.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this info. I do not know if the bypass was done. Going out to check this as soon as it stops raining,

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
And of course no remote diagnosis would get started good before somebody would mention ground straps.....

Sam

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No plans to put in a new IMA battery. As much as I want to do this, it’s just not in the budget. I am considering the full IMA delete. It is a CVT but still there would be weight savings. I’m getting a steady 46-47mpg now so maybe getting rid of the IMA battery would help me get 50mpg.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It is a CVT but still there would be weight savings. I’m getting a steady 46-47mpg now so maybe getting rid of the IMA battery would help me get 50mpg.
Do it, no lean burn but still 80lbs is 80lbs of dead weight. Plus, no CEL and IMA lights due to non functional IMA.

Take out the BCM and open it up and see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is safe to just disconnect both modules? Do I need to meter the 2 main wires and disconnect them first before unplugging the modules?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMA metered at 129.1v. Insurance is due in 4 days so I’m cancelling the insurance and parking it for now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now the brand new optima battery is dead after only being in the car one day. 11.94v. I’m charging it now to try and get it running to move it out of the driveway. What could cause such a drain with the BCM unhooked?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts