Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I note that quite a few on this forum have replaced their 12v battery - sometimes on multiple occasions.

My car is coming up for 5 years old next week. AFAIK, I'm still on the original 12v battery (I'm 2nd owner). I've had 2 non starts in 5 years - the last one being several months ago.

Part of Honda UK's servicing schedule is testing the 12v battery with a Midtronics conductance tester during a 'B' Service. Midtronics claim that these can detect early signs of battery failure.

Has anyone had a battery replaced as a result of conductance testing rather than load testing or just dealing with problems? Do you think there is much chance of it detecting a deteriorating battery before it causes problems?

Regarding the battery charging from the DC-DC converter from the IMA battery - I often noticed a quiet very high pitched noise towards the edge of my hearing range. I assume that it's the DC-DC charging I can hear. It's particularly noticeable at idle or during autostop.

Just as a point of interest - last time I had my hearing range tested it topped out around 17 kHz but then picked up again in the low 20 kHz range (which I gather is unusual for someone my age). It could be that the sound is 20 kHz+, which would restrict who can hear it.

If it is the DC-DC at work - that could mean that those who are keying off for lights etc are restricting the time the 12v is getting charged - putting more strain on it and leading to premature failures.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
No, it dies before I have it tested.

Yes, I also do this with my non hybrid vehicle and when its engine is off it doesnt charge the battery ider, but it doesnt die early.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts