Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a Honda Insight 2010, around 82k.
I just replaced my IMA battery, and when I turned on the car the 12v battery light come on, and after some time all the lights on the panel started to go crazy.

Explaining: A month ago the IMA light started blinking, so I got a replacement IMA battery with Eli.
I was only able to install it by myself after 3 weeks that I got it.

After installing it and turning the car on, the "Check Charging System" and the 12v battery light started blinking.

I let the car run for 10 minutes and then I drove for other 20 minutes and the lights alternate between being on and off.

The next day I started the car and after a few moments all the panel lights started blinking like crazy. One thing I noticed is that the Steering wheel was not working (it was very hard to make it turn).

I checked with a voltmeter the 12v battery and it was showing 11.85. The battery is an original Honda and it has a sticker saying 10/14

The weird thing is that the car starts without any problem.

I don't know if it is just a new 12v battery issue or if it is something more complex with the electronics (the woman from the battery shop said it could be the alternator)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You replaced the IMA at 82k without ever checking the 12 volt underhood battery? Yikes! Replace that battery asap. If you have never had any of the software updates from Honda, get to a dealer and have those done as well.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
By the way, the IMA has an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty (10 years/150k in CARB states)
I'll be damned... it is 100K. I though it was 80K like all the poor failing civics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You replaced the IMA at 82k without ever checking the 12 volt underhood battery? Yikes! Replace that battery asap. If you have never had any of the software updates from Honda, get to a dealer and have those done as well.
Hi Egads, thank you for your reply. Yes, I did replace my IMA battery because on thanksgiving the IMA system lights showed on the panel twice when I was on a trip from Fort Worth TX to Memphis TN (one time on the way there, and again driving back home). After that I had my Check Engine light on al the time, so I took the read the codes and it said Hybrid Battery Deterioration. So after some talk here on Insight Central I decided to get it replaced, because I want to be able to take long road trips with my car.

I have had problems before with the 12V battery before (although now it was fine), and I think that the time it was disconnected while installing the IMA was what drove it completely dead in the end.

So after reading your answer and other threads with similar issues here on the forum, I just went and replaced my 12v battery. Apparently my car is working pretty normal again, running good and beautiful.

Thank you

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: In the afternoon everything seemed to be work fine, but at night I had to leave for a gig and the battery light came on again.
I think the mistake was that I turned on the heater, and as soon as I noticed I turned it off and stopped a few blocks ahead to talk to a friend that was driving right behind me. The light went off when I stopped, so I decided to keep going, then the light turned on again, and stayed on. I arrived at my destination and left it parked for an hour and half. After that, a couple of minutes after I turned on the car on the battery light came on again so I just did my best to get home as soon as possible. I was afraid that if I left the car on and parked for too long all the lights in the panel would go crazy again and i wouldn't be able to move the car at all.

Is there any chance that the battery is not charging????
Or did I waited too long to install the IMA and it's not working properly? although I haven't seem any IMA light again.

I don't know what can be. I think tomorrow I'll take the car to the mechanics I would have taken if I haven't installed the IMA by myself.

Any ideas??????

Thanks in advance

·
6,928 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble! Hmm. The length of time before installation isn't an issue, and if there was anything overtly wrong with the installation or the new battery, you would have an IMA light with error codes. Does the IMA system seem to work properly otherwise, ie: you get assist and regen?

Does the 12V battery light only come on above a certain RPM?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble! Hmm. The length of time before installation isn't an issue, and if there was anything overtly wrong with the installation or the new battery, you would have an IMA light with error codes. Does the IMA battery seem to work properly otherwise, ie: you get assist and regen?

Does the 12V battery light only come on above a certain RPM?
Thanks for the fast reply, Eli!!
I confess I haven't paid attention to the RPM.
The IMA battery seems to be good. I can even see the battery charging and assisting the car in the screen. But i must say that I still don't understand enough about it to say properly.

I don't know if the cold makes difference. Or if during the day I should have driven around longer, and at night the lights on didn't help the battery to fully charge

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have never had any of the software updates from Honda, get to a dealer and have those done as well.
Any Honda dealer will do it? any dealer or only Honda?

I wish I heard about this before, I haven't done that at all.

I have this car since August and I'm really new to cars in general, not to mention hybrids...

·
6,928 Posts
That's for the IMA battery, not the 12V battery.

We've only experienced this once before, in an Accord Hybrid, and it was a bad DC-DC converter. The IMA Battery behaved as it should, but the 12V battery light would intermittently come on. Further investigation revealed it was actually still charging as per a voltmeter and HDS when the 12V battery light was on.

I was looking through your original thread. The whole thing is a big SNAFU - I do apologize. You posted in the 1st gen forum that you had an IMA light and Check Engine Light. 99.9% of the time, that means you need a new IMA battery, and that's the way everyone went.

But, really we should have had you check your error codes. I'd bet money you had a P0A7F, which means you did indeed need a new IMA battery - though like Steve, I was unaware of the 100k mile warranty. Regardless, what you're experiencing now is unrelated to your original problem. We will work with you to resolve it in any way we can though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking through your original thread. The whole thing is a big SNAFU - I do apologize. You posted in the 1st gen forum that you had an IMA light and Check Engine Light. 99.9% of the time, that means you need a new IMA battery, and that's the way everyone went.

But, really we should have had you check your error codes. I'd bet money you had a P0A7F, which means you did indeed need a new IMA battery. What you're experiencing now is unrelated to your original problem. We will work with you to resolve it in any way we can though.
I did read the codes by then, and it said Hybrid Battery Deterioration, although I made the mistake of not taking note of the code.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Monitor your 12V charging with a plug in gauge in the "CIG" lighter socket. What does it show?
Again, even though a G2 CHECK YOUR GROUNDS.

HTH
Willie

·
6,928 Posts
I did read the codes by then, and it said Hybrid Battery Deterioration, although I made the mistake of not taking note of the code.
Ok, whew, that makes me feel a little better. That is P0A7F.

We would never intentionally sell someone a new battery when they do not need it. :cry:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, whew, that makes me feel a little better. That is P0A7F.

We would never intentionally sell someone a new battery when they do not need it. :cry:
No worries Eli! I wasn't thinking that. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. I do believe I needed a new IMA, and you've been very helpful since the beginning.

I just don't understand what's wrong since apparently we did everything alright during installation, and I even got a new 12V too.

So it's all new, and not working well together.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I commend Eli for his apology for selling you a new IMA you may not have needed. Failures in the second generation Insights are very rare. (Not that they won't all fail someday) I would also hope that you first generation guys will be a bit more diligent in looking out for folks posting in the wrong forum. Our young friends initial problem was quite familiar to those of us on the second gen forums. I remember the very first IMA warning light issue reported here. That happened to someone also on a long trip. The local Honda dealer contacted Honda corp and found and applied the update and all was well.

Now I realize that many folks never use a dealer for anything. But seriously, we are now driving computers with internal combustion engines and batteries. That they would never need to go back and get plugged into the mothership is delusional.

By the way Eli, I don't think the second generation Insight has a 12 volt warning light.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I commend Eli for his apology for selling you a new IMA you may not have needed. Failures in the second generation Insights are very rare. (Not that they won't all fail someday) I would also hope that you first generation guys will be a bit more diligent in looking out for folks posting in the wrong forum. Our young friends initial problem was quite familiar to those of us on the second gen forums. I remember the very first IMA warning light issue reported here. That happened to someone also on a long trip. The local Honda dealer contacted Honda corp and found and applied the update and all was well.

Now I realize that many folks never use a dealer for anything. But seriously, we are now driving computers with internal combustion engines and batteries. That they would never need to go back and get plugged into the mothership is delusional.

By the way Eli, I don't think the second generation Insight has a 12 volt warning light.

I replied to a thread on the first generation forum about the IMA/Check Engine Light because I couldn't find anything here in the 2nd gen about that. I don't know why I didn't start one. Now I understand the problem of communication, but they knew mine was 2nd gen.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So if Egads is right, what could happen with the car in this situation? Is it just the computer going crazy?

Just to mention, I took the car to a mechanics, I'm waiting to hear from him now.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I can't help but think that since this is a salvage title car, there may be other things wrong with it resulting from the damage. Hopefully, the mechanic will find something.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts