Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Odyssey and they told me that since I am replacing my stock battery with an Odyssey I would need to also buy the metal jacket ($96) due to the heat. I realize the Odyssey will take some modification to make it fit, but if I raise it up and use the stock Honda brace over the top won't that be enough? What is this heat issue all about :?: :?: :?:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Not sure if your asking about the 545 with the integral metal "case" or this one here: (but its not $96 :shock: )

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/accessories/pc680hd.htm

Had mine in for almost a year now. It it the one with the metal case and installed with the bracket in the link above. Unless your happy with sheet metal screws you'll need to completely remove the cross brace for drilling and nut access. And nudge the installation as far toward the negative terminal as possible. The cable's barely long enough.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,896 Posts
battery

When I installed my Hawker 13A (Similar to odysey 545) all I did was carve out a section of styrofoam for the battery to sit down in, placed it in the regular battery box and used the std. hold down strap to hold it in place. Been that way for going on three years now. No Problems.

Willie

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I installed the same one as John did. IIRC the aluminum case was ~30bucks. I used some aluminized steel brackets L-shaped (found in my bucket-o-brackets) and was able to use the existing holes in the cross bar behind the battery. Even used the factory hex head cap screws. Didn't have to drill, tap, or use sheet metal, or self tapping. Removed the factory battery box and top support. As John says the factory negitive cable is just barely long enough.

Got a pic if you want it, gator.

Randall

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It might be worth a couple extra bucks, but I don't think that engine compartment gets particularly hot. I put an odyssey battery in my 70 Camaro (I used the 925) and it gets hot in there so I did get the metal jacketed one. So far no problems, and it's been pretty heavily abused.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts