Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was working on the car again today and fixed the radio, seems like the last person didn't wire it too well, I had the car off the whole time and have the interior lights all turned off to not drain the battery. So when I turned the key to acc and started setting channels for the radio, the radio started to reset itself, I thought it was a bad head unit but when I tried to start the car the battery was dead. I jumped the car and it ran but ended up taking the battery out and replacing it with a new one since the sticker said 2012 and i'm sure it's toast...ANYWAY, after putting in that new battery I started the car and the charge level on the dash was 0...no bars at all. It was 95% full with the old battery. Is this normal or is something else wrong?:confused:

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
Correct... IMA system (i.e. BCM+MCM) don't have any memory when +12V is removed... BCM has to figure out how charged the battery is by dumping current into it until the voltage does something it can interpret.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read in another manual that removing the number 15 40Amp fuse then rev the engine to 3500 to 4000rpm in park or neutral will restore it rather than waiting 30min. Anyone try it?

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Reset the system by removing #16 fuse under the hood and replacing after about 30 sec. Start engine and let it idle, It will probably show full in about 5-8 minutes.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So yesterday I pulled the fuse and rev the engine to 3500 rpm for a few seconds and after taking my foot off the petal the battery light showed 2 bars and every few seconds it added another bar until it was back to where it was before I swapped 12v battery!

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Normal, normal, normal. I don't know anything about removing that fuse. What does it protect? I just start the car and drive around. The SOC wakes up pretty quickly.

Sam

·
Registered
827 Posts
I blew the fuse it protects the DC DC converter because I grounded out , doing the IMA bypass. By accident. And another thing I've done with the battery working I had a off on switch hooked up to the battery behind the car seat The two large orange cables that go from the battery over the DC DC converter to the rectifier I guess .if the car is idling and you turn it off no good. So I took it off the switch when I tried to hook the cable back to the battery pow ozone everywhere three or four more times .and it was coming from the 12 V. Big boy was turned off. That's why I Unhook 12 v during non-use it drains the battery right there. If you're wondering I still have all seven fingers! I love the smell aluminum in the morning!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Underhood fuse #15 is the EPS control unit circuit. The manual says to pull it out when you do the rev charge thing because, for whatever reason, revving in neutral will cause an error in that circuit/device... You often get an EPS warning light that will go away in some minutes, when you're done doing the revving... Never found that not pulling it causes an actual, lasting problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts