Honda Insight Forum banner

12v socket too small

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
As most of you guys probably already know, the 12 volt power socket is too small to fit standard power adapters. How can I fit my power adapter for my GPS unit? Is there an adapter one can buy? Or can the socket be exchanged for a larger sized one, say, from a Civic, or Element or something? Has anybody ever done this?

#4 ·
Really?? Hmm. I don't know what to do then. My 12v plug fits all my other car's lighters/accessory sockets, but it's too big for the Insight's.

I called my Honda dealership and they said they could easily remove it and install a larger socket. Is this a good idea? Has anyone done this?

------------
Update: I'm a *******. I had to push the two springy metal arms on the side as hard as I could, and totally force the adapter in. (sorry if this sounds dirty) It was so tight that when I pulled it out, the entire socket pulled out of the dash. I had to separate the two, and slide the socket back in the dash. But, bottom line: it does fit. It's just ridiculously tight.
------------

#5 ·
Sounds like the adapter for your GPS was made too large. If it's not it's own power supply and maybe just a simple power cord you can probably find a generic replacement fairly easily that would suffice.

#8 ·
I almost bought a "universal" adapter with a voltage switch on it, but it didn't do 5.2v. The closest was 4.5v.

Anyway, I've totally jammed the plug into the socket. It's basically a permanent fixture in the car now. I do a small amount of damage each time I try and remove it. But it works!

G
#9 ·
You aren't alone Martini.. I broke the adapter plug for my first tire inflating generator in that socket. The whole question is how sturdy the plug is because its a severe grabass* when you put a cheap plug in there. Phone plugs are usually pretty sturdy and they are usually long with something to grasp so there isn't a problem with those. Your straight inline smallish plug is another thing altogether.

Additionally if you aren't plugging in and plugging out that often you don't get affected by this. I'm not sure if its the socket size or the socket insides that tend to grab the metal 'ribs' of the plug.

*If not heartbreak when the plug breaks apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.