Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 honda insight 130 000 km.
One day after work, my car wouldn't start like my battery was flat. jump started the car, and checked the charge on the 12v battery and looked for any waning lights, but nothing out of the ordinary, everything worked fine. So I drove the car home and the day after the same problem. Jump started it again and drove it to work, and place the car innside and checked if anything was left on, checked paracitic draw and all the fuses. But nothing out of the ordinary. I drove the car for 2 hours and sat it for 4 hours, checked the voltage 10.46volts had to jump start it again drove it to work charge the battery to 12.78volts and sat it inside. The next day the battery showed 12.36volts.
Please hjelp!! I think I have checked everything.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,603 Posts
Have the battery "LOAD" tested and then get a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guys, I have the same problem. My car stood still vor 1 month and afterwards it was not starting anymore. Jump started the car and it was running fine. 12 hours later when I tried to start it again same problem. Is it the battery (not the IMA one)? If yes, how is this possible that the battery dies within 1 month? I am not sure how old it is, but at least 3 years sine I bought the car. Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
Most likely the 12V battery is just dead. Three years is a decent lifetime for the battery in an Insight. The Insight is hard on 12V batteries, much of the time leaving them in a state of partial charge. If the battery is weak then normal self discharge over a week could well leave it too low to start the car in cold weather.

If you want to be sure, then take the battery to an auto store and have it load tested

Reactions: Wolfgang

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most likely the 12V battery is just dead. Three years is a decent lifetime for the battery in an Insight. The Insight is hard on 12V batteries, much of the time leaving them in a state of partial charge. If the battery is weak then normal self discharge over a week could well leave it too low to start the car in cold weather.

If you want to be sure, then take the battery to an auto store and have it load tested

Thanks Jime, I will do that. Appreciate your help :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guys, I have the same problem. My car stood still vor 1 month and afterwards it was not starting anymore. Jump started the car and it was running fine. 12 hours later when I tried to start it again same problem. Is it the battery (not the IMA one)? If yes, how is this possible that the battery dies within 1 month? I am not sure how old it is, but at least 3 years sine I bought the car. Thanks for your help

My car has only stood for a day or less, and still drains the battery.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,603 Posts
Hook up a meter and see how much it is draining.
Disconnect the battery and let it set without a drain from the car and take a reading also, that will help on trying for a solution.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Jumping here from another recent post.
Egads and red devil answered my question about likely fate of a 12v battery (2011) that had self discharged after an unplanned 4 month period of non-use.
When I bought my car in late 2015 the 12v failed and I started reading this forum. I can't find any familiar posts about it but I'm sure one of you more experienced guys advised, as the post here warns, that G2s go through 12v batteries quickly, ostensibly because they are undersized. BUT the cool people know that by merely removing the plastic carrier , the OEM standard Civic battery fits perfectly and solves the 'problem '. Now egads and red devil say that installing a larger battery is ill advised.
FWIW I now have 6 years, 75k miles on the 12v and 3 months after discharging due to the 4 month sit, it shows no signs of anything.
I am not qualified to render opinions on mechanicals or electricals. Offering an experience report and noting I am not having the problems otherwise expected.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It may not have been the size, but the quality of the replacement that made it last. In the entire time we had our Insight, I never had the battery start the car. The IMA started it. These batteries just don't get used. But they are critical to the operation of the IMA system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts