Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-13c & still > 100 MPG

We are having a cold snap at the moment, and was not expecting to be getting good MPG, but on my day off (not my normal 70 Mile commute) managed 102.7 MPG over 27.5 Miles.

The temp when leaving the house was -13c and was -8c at the destination.

Had some problems with the Aerodynamics also....

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Regarding your aerodynamics, in snow like that it is best to remove them before mother nature does it for you. The under body panels love to catch snow on the leading edge and tear loose. The rear spats can bulge out and pop loose due to excessive snow buildup in the wheel wells. I even had a chunck of ice get wedged in between the well and spat, conveniently removing a large portion of the protective clearcoat on that wheel. Also time to consider dedicated snow tires. The difference is night and day. I'm currently running 170 miles a day on infrequently plowed roads with Hankook Winter Ipike's. They make the Insight incredibly sure footed were it was nothing but a ditch cleaner before on the OEM tires.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Congratulations on your mileage. Cold weather alone turned my 60-70mpg commute (in traffic) into 50-60mpg. Add in snow and some days I'm seeing 45mpg. But yesterday was -2°C (warm!) and I got 65mpg on the same route.

·
Registered
49 Posts
RichardH: Care to pass on any of your secrets?

Here in Toronto, where it is really cold, I am working hard with my 2001 MT to get to 4.1 l per 100km which would be somewhere around 60mpg (US). I do have snow tires on, but have put in a rad block to increase engine temps.

Thanks for any tips you can pass on.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Hi Richard,

Have you fitterd a MIMA yet? If not, then that is mighty impressive! I got 92 and 102 ( MP imperial G) on my last two 40 mile jaunts in the same cold snap. I find the insight behaves very well in our snow...doesn't get stuck and doesn't spin the wheels...I put it down to it's lightness and of course.....the skilled driving! Mind you I have no serious Welsh hills to contend with. Lots of virgin snow lately, but not thick enough to touch the undertrays. (just) Once it has thawed I will take off the rear wheel covers and give everything in there a good clean.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[Working Honda]
Thanks for the advice on the spats, I can imagine how the slush could really pack the inside!

[jacrider]
Just the normal things that we all talk about after studying the pages of Insight Central!

Taking advice from Roger & Peter was the best thing I did.

Roger fitted me a rad block that he made and that gave me an immediate MPG boost.

Roger & Peter told me to up the PSI (I run at 50psi)
Peter's advice to slow down makes a huge difference and I think that this was key on this particular trip. I travelled to my local airfield and it was my day off, so I was not rushing to work, also it was after the rush hour, no one sitting in the rear view mirror... I think I did not hit 50 mph. Most of the time travelling between 40-50 mph.

[Roger]
No MIMA yet, but I saw that its on offer, so thinking of ordering...
Roger how many MPG's is it worth in your opinion?

-13c again today, but went to the local office, only 15.7 Miles getting 101.0 MPG on the way, feels like I am on a role! (pic attached).

Richard

Attachments

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
The advantage of MIMA is reduced if you already have a good terrain to drive on, like the motorway, but it still helps on slight hills and gets the averages up. Conversely the Welsh hills will allow it to excel. I would say that on my trips, which are mainly flat, it keeps the readings in the high 90's when weather conditions would have given low 80's figures and in the better weather it gave me a door to door 40 mile trip of 121.3. It has raised my lifetime average to 88.2 , so it is probably getting an average of about 90 if I was to re set my lifetime counter.
During around town driving it has raised the bar from 60's to 70's. Overall you will see an improvement in fuel consumption and a big improvement in available acceleration and regenerative braking. My insurers wanted an extra £30 for the fitment of MIMA

It is also fun to use. I out paced an Aston Martin the other day for about the first 30 ft!!!! He was not happy.

There is an iPhone app that turns the phone into a performance data logger....it will give you your 0- 30 time or your 0-60 time or your standing 1/4 mile time, depending on how you set it up. ( BMW M power meter)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Im now looking at sub 70MPG tanks with this weather.

On a run its actually better to go fast at the minute as it seems to get more heat into the engine. 73MPG at 75mph or so, when trickling along trying to get 70+ around 60-65 was unsucessful.

Impressive figures there. Atleast my battery is behaving itself at the moment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All thanks for the flowers.

Snow has now all but gone, just went for a little drive to Llangollen a town nearby.
Managed to beat my all time best and logged 122.5 imperial MPG over 12 miles.

Really starting to get the hang of this now!

I have found a really good resting place for my right foot so its anchored to the side wall and just "breathing" on the throttle.

Richard

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,603 Posts
Bloody Hell. That's nearly better than my PHEV!! You must have filled up with rocket fuel by mistake!! Was that from cold? If so it's even more impressive in these low temps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Pete,

PHEV, I want one! Bring it on! and MIMA.

Pete,Your right, I did fill up and it was not from stone cold. I did a 40 mile trip about 2 hours before this trip and filled up at that time. But it was not Optimax or any other form of solid fuel that I know of.

I was just super careful and hardened in my resolve not to use the throttle. The traffic was very light. It was all country A road work, and kept my speed to the minimum required. Even did 27 mph in a 40 with a local panda car right up my chuff! I was not going to be pushed! No more Throttle for you Officer!

But being serious, only one 50 mph section on the road, but doing 30ish needed to keep my eyes in the mirrors for serious closure speeds. Love to get high mileage but not at the risk of being rear ended by someone doing 70 in a 50 not expecting me to be doing 27.

It was at 134 for a while, but I have three nasty hills that burnt that in the last 2 miles.

Anyway good fun, and a new personal record. How much is that PHEV upgrade going to cost me??

Richard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
richardh
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing