Honda Insight Forum banner

13 + gallon capacity in an Insight?

13K views 64 replies 24 participants last post by  b1shmu63 
Not to accuse anybody but there were cases a few years back in California (?) where illegal chips were installed in pumps. Many states only check pump accuracy at fixed volumes. As I remember the news article 1 & 10 gals. These chips correctly pumped at the tested volumes. As I remember a very old post in a yahoo group there is about a 1 gal capacity in the vapor separator. How you may have managed 13+ gal will only be proven by the next fill-up and averaging the 2 tanks MPG.

HTH! :)

And as I further remember some of the evidence was that of a video tape of the pumps display. You could clearly see (as it was reported) the speed of the gallons dispensed vary in relationship to the sale amount. And as I remember it wasn't widespread. The situation was revealed when a regular customer refused to believe that his car took so much additional fuel.

I can't help it, but find myself looking at these readouts and watching for such sometimes.

It worked for me this time. :)

(no I didn't cheat and google the answer)

Too bad it isn't more reliable though. Just look at some of my oops posts in here. <g>

EDIT: And if it had been as sharp as I would have liked I would have said;

While recently watching the readout I have noticed that the sale amount seems to be speeding up or the gallons amount is slowing down. <VBG>

But I missed 2 opportunities. Couldn't resist the third. :)

I am not pointing fingers here or making a judgment. Please simply take this as an FYI. :)

When you overfill the vapor separator you prevent it from doing its job. HC emissions from the fuel tank, especially in warm weather will increase.

In the most severe scenario you could leak liquid gasoline on the ground!. Which could be a fire hazard given the wrong place at the wrong time.

In the case of a severe rear end accident the charcoal canister would also become a secondary fire hazard. The fuel tank itself is obviously #1.

Most often you will saturate the charcoal canister which will take much longer to purge and HC emissions will be higher.

Kinda counter productive to what the Insight is a symbol for.

:)

xcel said:
<snip>

I don’t think there are issues other then the vapor lines are filled with
fuel up to the point of the filler neck? That in itself leads to a more
dangerous situation if a vapor line were ruptured in an accident. If you
can provide more info, I would most certainly appreciate it.
I believe the worst case scenario is that of the separator being disabled in this fashion then liquid fuel can enter the canister. The canister is vented to the atmosphere. Given enough liquid fuel vented to the canister, it will spill on the ground. And require a much longer purge time for the canister to recover.

Thanks again for the FYI on CVT vs. 5spd and emissions. from a past thread of yours: I didn't know that Amoco ultimate fuel would further reduce 5spd emissions to approach the CVT's capability. It's what I use. :)

minako said:
I've also been wondering about the accuracy of the FCD. When I went to fill up for the first time, the gauge was showing 72.1 mpg but when I calculated distance traveled divided by gallons purchased... It showed that I only got 71.0 mpg. Is this deviance normal?
Geez minako :shock: :!:

That much error :?: :!: :!: :p

It calculates to:

1.52310269866105426399523684246964%

Seriously, if your not familiar with instrumentation 1.5% is pretty darn good :!: But you'll see it float lower and higher with Insighters retentive enough to keep a complete record reporting a 1-2% long term"error" factor. Requires OEM tire rev / mile equivalents too (if you've replaced your tires.)

HTH! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.