Honda Insight Forum banner

14 year old insights and rusted brake and gas lines

54K views 174 replies 64 participants last post by  joeaax1j 
So, my 345K mile car just burst a line. It's spent it's entire life here in Michigan in salt. Right now, it been demoted to strictly winter beater, being driven from Thanksgiving to Easter. Not sure if it's really worth fixing or calling it good, walking away and finding another lower mile car. Given the mileage, now it's become a game of, how far will it go. I really should walk away, but not sure I can, lol.

So, currently entertaining buying a complete set of stainless brake and fuel lines to install. In addition, probably replacing the rubber brake lines with OEM units.

My question is, for those of you than have done the fuel and brake lines, are there specific fuel/brake specific fasteners/clips that you'd recommend replacing? or were they largely all reused?

If I do go the route to replace all the lines, I'd like to get the pile of parts together prior to tearing it apart. Critical would the fasteners.

Can anyone verify what size lines the brake lines are? Are they all the same size?

If we happen to get a short warm spell that falls around a weekend, I'd love to just splice in a patch to the line (Assuming it's in a spot that's reachable and easily patched) and hold off on the total replacement until spring/summer gets here. At the moment, I'm not 100% where its leaking. Hoping it's underneath the passenger area, which would be easy to reach. My guess is I got damage from an animal or ice chunk here in the last few months. Despite the case the car is subject to salt, the engine has leaked enough oil over time, the underside of the car is coated. LOL, self serve fluid film.

So, I bought the SS brake and fuel line kit. Also purchased every fastener and clip there was for the brake lines with the exception of the large clips that hold all the lines together under the car. I didn't realize they were there until I crawled under the car this weekend. So, couple questions:

Brake System:
Can those large clips be easily reused? or should I buy new? Looks like they hold all the lines as they weasel underneath the car.

Fuel system:
Besides the tank straps and bolts, are there any other bolts required to drop the tank?
Any other parts (clips/fasteners) that need touched to do the fuel lines, that one would recommend getting?
Do the tank end of the fuel lines just go to hose? Splice or what? Looking through the parts catalog and the service manual it's not obvious. I've not opened the kit I got, possible they come with the right fitting on them for the snap attachment.
Is it really necessary to drop the exhaust to drop the tank? My convertor looks nearly gone at the flanges and I dread moving it too much let alone taking it apart. At least not yet.

I'm going to be diving into the car this coming weekend. This past weekend I spent some time soaking the lines/fasteners and joints that need taken apart. I just want to havening everything available if possible so I can get as far as I can without hitting a wall on something.

Not impressed on any level with SS Tubes kits. Would be nice if they provided some documentation and additional labeling but I'll let it slide. However, the bigger annoyance is the lack of quality in the prebent lines. For instance, the lines that run up the rear axle tube from the wheel cylinder to the rubber line. They were nearing an 1" too long. So when the line was attached to the mount bracket/rubber line, the line that should go into the wheel cylinder at a 90, was about an inch past it. Had to bend the line around between the two points to take up the slack. The lines that go cross car from the MC to the block on the pass strut tower are too long. They push and rub on the strut tower. The bends that go into that same block and to the ABS unit, again need more bending because they don't fit. I truly question if I would buy another set. I'm only 1/2 done. Still have to run the lines that run under the body and drop the fuel tank to tackle them. Totally dreading it.

For those that did the fuel lines also with the SS set, explain the fitting that are included and what's is reused on the fuel lines. I think I have an idea, but not 100% sure. I take it we reuse the plastic lines that attach to the fuel pump and use the included fittings to attach to the other ends of the plastic lines to attach them to the lines that run forward under the body? What's the rubber hose for? Also, what's the trick to get the filler neck hose back on? Drop the EVAP module out of the way before putting the tank up? My clamp was rusty enough, I was able to slide the hose off the tank when I pulled it down. I can see it will be a PITA to reinstall it though.