Honda Insight Forum banner

14 year old insights and rusted brake and gas lines

54K views 174 replies 64 participants last post by  joeaax1j 
One thing I meant to add, which I thought of after doing this whole job, is that the fuel lines are a major PITA. Expensive, tough to source, unwieldy to replace, and the main reason to drop the tank.

However unlike the brake lines the fuel lines are low pressure, mostly plastic coated, and actually only really rust in two places... right at the end in the engine compartment, and where they make the transition from horizontal steel to vertical plastic (next to the fuel tank). So, if I had to do this over again, I would consider simply cutting out the rusty bits and splicing in some replacement fuel hose. Could be done relatively easy in place.
Yep, the fuel lines rusted out in both places on one of my Insights! I plan to splice them. Why didn't Honda just make them all plastic?

For the fuel lines, as ackattacker suggested, it might be easier to address corrosion by simply cutting out the corroded section and replacing it with brake hose.
Great write-up! I did pretty much the same, but I rerouted the brake lines. You might want to change "brake" to "fuel" in the above quote to avoid confusing someone.