Honda Insight Forum banner

14 year old insights and rusted brake and gas lines

54K views 174 replies 64 participants last post by  joeaax1j 
Just wanted to confirm that the Insight uses standard 45 degree double flare brake lines, and the nuts are M10 x 1.0.

Spent the last 40 minutes searching this forum and got a confirmation on the nuts, but not the flare style. Yep, 99% of cars are but wanted to make sure as (an you believe it?!) I have never had to flare a brake line before.

Last stop Friday I started the car while pressing the brake, which promptly went to the floor. Two more pumps and "Hmm...that's not right". Found a puddle of hydraulic fluid under the rear right of the car where the line had burst at the fitting due to rust. Thankfully the stop was only about 1KM from my parents house, so a careful drive using only regen and the parking brake (yes, I realise Insights have dual circuit brakes and the front brakes would have kept working but I wanted to "save" that for a possible panic stop) got the car safely to a driveway.

And I'm reading this topic now because my fuel feed line split at the rear, right at the union to the plastic tubing, due to rust.

Going to call Honda later today and see if the fuel feed line is still available considering it looks like an easy replacement to just swap in a new OEM line and be good for another 20 years.

If not available, will make up a new line with aftermarket fittings.

Anyone happen to know the size of the quick connect fitting at the fuel pump? Forgot to measure last night as I was scrambling to quickly get my RX-7 out of winter storage so I could have a car today!