Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought a 2000 from a guy off Craigslist. Ad said $300 must go today, by the time I got there he relisted it for $200. I offered $100 and we "got the deal done at 140$)

Anyway, not my first Insight I had a 2000 a few years ago and really miss it.

The car had no 12v battery and some interesting repair job that rendered the 12v starter unusable. So a battery and a $65 refurb starter off eBay I and it cranks again. I shot a little starter fluid in and the motor fired up today.

I hear no fuel pump and have no fuel pressure. A little research here and I need to check and see if the green key/ immobilizer is doing anything. I also have no fuel level bars or motor assist bars. I'll add some more to this thread tomorrow when I get a chance to do some more trouble shooting.

·
Registered
511 Posts
$140? That has to be the cheapest Insight deal yet. Congrats on the car!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Another common problem is the fuel pump coming unsnapped in the tank after any kind of impact.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
$140! You got cheated big-time. No problem, though, I'll double your money since I feel so sorry for you. Let me know where to pick up that hunk of junk and I'll take it off your hands, as is, because I'm such a nice, nice guy.

[Chuckles as he walks away]

:badgrin:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
$140? That has to be the cheapest Insight deal yet. Congrats on the car!
$140 is good. Congrats. But I certainly have gotten insights for free. Including a Citrus

I'm sure other folks have as well.

Right place right time.

I once saw a 55,000 mile pristine one go for $500.
It was easily worth 10 times that amount.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats on such a great deal!

Do check the wires going to the fuel pump. I just fixed one last week that had rodent chewed wires. The rodents had nested on the top of the gas tank. I first thought that it was an immobilizer problem, there were lights on the dash but no fuel pump sound when the ignition was turned on. There is access to the wires and connector behind the drivers seat in the area behind the carpeted aluminum panel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep,

It was rodent chewed wires. fixed it and it runs now!

Bad IMA so I think I will end up parting it out....the battery module is more than I want to spend.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Bad IMA so I think I will end up parting it out....the battery module is more than I want to spend.

Not really a great reason to part out an Insight IMO. I can sell ya a weak IMA with a grid charger for a decent price if you want to keep this car on the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not really a great reason to part out an Insight IMO. I can sell ya a weak IMA with a grid charger for a decent price if you want to keep this car on the road.
I would like to keep it on the road. this is what I'm getting.

The battery module is terminal from what I have read.

Getting a 1445 (bypass contactor according to my reading)

I also am reading that it is not serviceable....

I would be interested in your IMA!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Or you could just bypass and remove the IMA completely and run the car as gasoline only.

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
Yeah. DO NOT part out an Insight if it can be kept on the road. We need to save as many as we can.

Sam

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got a similar no start insight. Starts on spray. These fuel pumps or ECU's tend to go bad when you let them sit for a while.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad you got the car going. I have driven one a lot with a bypassed IMA(Jeff's Bypass Method @ Hybrid Automotive). You can still get great mileage too(80 MPG on one 250 mile trip -with some effort of course). Hopefully you can enjoy the use of the car. Best regards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you got the car going. I have driven one a lot with a bypassed IMA(Jeff's Bypass Method @ Hybrid Automotive). You can still get great mileage too(80 MPG on one 250 mile trip -with some effort of course). Hopefully you can enjoy the use of the car. Best regards.

The problem I have with the bypass is that there will be a check engine light and I don't think that it will pass emissions with any light on.

I also read that you can't take it over 4k RPM, because it will overcharge the alternator?

·
Registered
511 Posts
The problem I have with the bypass is that there will be a check engine light and I don't think that it will pass emissions with any light on.

I also read that you can't take it over 4k RPM, because it will overcharge the alternator?
If you replace the DC-DC with a Meanwell PSU (just search it in the google search) it removes the 4k DC-DC cutoff and the 5500 RPM redline.

There's also an arduino that simulates a working IMA to turn off the IMA and CEL lights, but that's for "off road use only" because the dummy lights are "bright and distracting" when driving...off road.

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
This thread got badly off topic and I have cleaned it up. Please keep future posts Insight related.

Sam (Moderator)

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
This thread got badly off topic and I have cleaned it up. Please keep future posts Insight related.

Sam (Moderator)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts