Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys no Insight could do it. Its my 2001 VW Golf TDI with a larger turbo and big injectors..

The best thing is the car has tons of power on demand but when driven at normal speeds I can get over 45mpg.

If driven like my old Insight I can get over 50mpg.

On long trips with 3 passangers and bags I still get 48+mpg.

Too bad Honda doesn't put a diesel motor in the Insight or Civic at least have it as an option.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hmmm, 2x the HP and over 2x the torque compaired to stock?

http://www.vw.com/golf/engspecs.htm

How much boost?

What kind of fuel addative? High turbo boost will need a higher c-tane rated fuel.

How do you intend to keep it from self destructing when driven under those boost conditions?

EPA highway for a 5spd GLS 1.9 TDI is 49 MPG, so _maybe you can get 45 in "granny" mode with the bigger injectors. (GL 1.9 TDI highway is 45MPG)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Okay....

Remember the old cigarette commercial where the guy blew a lungfull through a handkerchief? This was supposedly to show the benefits of their brand's filter tip. (ok, you probably don't,but still...)

Same concept.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
To get that kind of power out of that diesel, I suppose that there is a Very Large black cloud following your exhaust.
Simple turbo does, so double power surely would. Isn't it very poluting?

·
Registered
348 Posts
You may not be in the need for batteries anymore but when I read that you have souped up the worst engineered diesel on the market I cannot help myself laughing :lol:
You DO know that this perticular engine still has a TIMING-BELT, do you?
And you DO know what happens when the belt snaps, due to too much power and torque.

VW engines have problems with these timing-belts. Over here in Germany they(VW) don't even give a fixed interval time out to the workshops. "Change when needed." is what they say. There were cases where the belts went at around 30-40,000 kms on a STOCK engine!!! Until 2001 they even had just a 1(!!) year-warranty (now it's 2) and in most cases they were out of the warranty time

Thank god that my Insight's cam is chain driven. and even more that it's not been made in Mexico :lol:

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
What are your smog check stats in that rig from when you had it tested, or do you take off some of the mods before you bring it down?

·
Registered
348 Posts
.....and 180 hp out of a 1,9 litre DIESEL engine.
As long as you believe it.......... :roll:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well there you have it Cakely one guy thinks your engine is going to blow up another doesn't believe your figures.. personally I say all the more power to you... I've been thinking of buying a diesel myself as a winter beater... I just don't know enough about them yet...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have to admit that 180 horsepower out of a 1.9 litre diesel does seem like a lot, but with enough boost you can get 6000 horsepower out of an 8.5 litre alcohol engine, so I suppose it's possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.