Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Math works up to: 15x36in 180V, 290mA using 1x3in cells.
Ran across this site when looking into cut solar cells for custom voltages.
0.5" x 3" Multicrystatlline Solar Cell

Each one is 0.5V, 290mA; therefore, in a series configuration would need 180inches x 3inches, or reconfigured to be 180/12 = 15inches, 3*12 = 36inches.

Can reshape it however you want in 1/2 x 3 in chunks, mainly wanted to see if it was even possible to fit one of these in the insight, looks highly possible given the size. Too bad I have no funds to experiment, but someone else who does may want to look into this?

I remember someone crudely had a 12v charger built into the hood. Imagine a custom hood could be built, or a panel mounted as a lid in the hatch (likely dangerous in event of a crash there though, unless securely mounted).

For those with a spare hood and cash, this could be a cool mod. Imagine heat from inside the insight if doing a internal hatch mod would be a negative there as well as less solar efficiency going through extra glass layer.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Its just a shame neither insights have a section of flat surface for things like this. Solar cells need a protective covering and most of the chips do not bend without breaking. On the other hand you can break or resize cells for your needs, but the smallest chip in the series will limit the over all output.

I had a box of class C cells I paid 100 bucks for. I had enough cells for like 16 12 volt panels. I couldn't see myself making several successful panels, so I donated them to the goodwill. :)

Secret is to line them up how you want them and get the ones with long solder tabs. Otherwise you need to buy that and solder them together. Use tape on the fronts to hold them together then you can move them around without loosing orientation.

Its a good idea to test each one if you make a long string. Some solar cells need a soak for a few hours to make them give peak output once put in use.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
My son had a similar device on his old Camary, clipped to the sun visor for trickle charging the 12v. Car came from SW US. I don't know any of the details, but it worked quite well.

I recall seeing a thread some time ago involving an array of solar panels inside the hatch for trickle charging the ima pack. Never heard anymore about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
30x18 interesting

Wonder what laws covering the top half of the rear window and upper of front would violate?

3x40 front window (reduce solar glare) -80 cells, lengthwise vertically.
Custom fit remaining 280 cells in rear window, 24x1/2 -8cells, lengthwise horizontally, and 12 x 34 -272 cells, lengthwise vertically takes you 4-1/2 defrost lines down from top (plenty of visibility).

Or sand off black dots on rear glass.
1/2x27-9cells horizontal
1/2x30-10 cells horizontal
1/2x33-11 cells horizontal
9x34-204 cells vertical
3x23-46 cells vertical (23 on each side) does not affect defogger middle, but encroaches slightly on edges.

May figure out a pure back glass mod? My rear defogger needs work anyways, may prep for a future mod when I do sand/reattach the tabs. It would be ~$720 for 400 panels precut (need 360).

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I know in CA you can completely cover the rear window, but "I think" it's technically illegal to obstruct anything in the upper portion of the front window.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I think one guy made a folding panels and bracket to mount it to his car when parked. Another guy mounted a bunch of 12 volt panels in series with blocking diodes.

I think one person was going to use a nixie tube igniter and a battery to trickle charge the ima battery when parked. :evil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts