Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

My tires are currently on their last leg, and I am going to need some new all season for the spring so I've been sleuthing the used market the last while. 175s are kind of rare in my area, but I found a great deal on some barely used Pirellis 195/65r15 that is tempting. I've been searching the community but most posts with 195 info are on new rims and I can't find conclusive evidence.

Does anyone know if the 195/65s on the OEM wheels fit (i.e. are the rims wide enough to accommodate? Would it cause worrisome wear/damage to the drivetrain? How big of an impact on fuel mileage would it cause? Anything else unforeseen?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
660 Posts
Would they physically work? Most likely. The problem is that 195/65 R15s are a substantially larger diameter tire as compared to your 175/65 R15 tires.

Off the cuff, for a 195 width tire, you would want a 55 profile ratio to keep the diameter roughly the same.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The 175/65r15 tire was the size for the 2010 & 2011. Starting in 2012, Insights came with this size: 185/60R15. The rims did not change. We used that size tire on our 2010. If you are looking at used tires, this will not apply, but some tire store are reluctant to put on an non OEM size tire. If anyone runs into that, just tell them it's a 2012...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would they physically work? Most likely. The problem is that 195/65 R15s are a substantially larger diameter tire as compared to your 175/65 R15 tires.

Off the cuff, for a 195 width tire, you would want a 55 profile ratio to keep the diameter roughly the same.
Hey thanks for the response. I ended up buying the tires (all four Pirellis with ~90% tread for $80 CAD), they were in great condition.

I understand that it would be a larger diameter and that it likely would physically fit the rim. I guess I'm just curious to what extent using that larger size would effect the drivetrain/gearing, and fuel mileage? If its negligible I may consider using them, but if its even slightly concerning I would just sell these and continue searching.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 175/65r15 tire was the size for the 2010 & 2011. Starting in 2012, Insights came with this size: 185/60R15. The rims did not change. We used that size tire on our 2010. If you are looking at used tires, this will not apply, but some tire store are reluctant to put on an non OEM size tire. If anyone runs into that, just tell them it's a 2012...
Haha I like the approach, and thanks for the response. Like you can see in my reply to Bull Dog, I ended up buying the tries (too good of a deal to turn down). I am just unsure if I should give these 195/65s a try, or if its too risky at that siz, and would be better off just to continue searching for 195/55s or 185/60s.

·
Super Moderator
660 Posts
Will likely have some effect on MPG. Acceleration will likely be a bit slower. Your speedo will read low by four-ish percent.

The size difference is unlikely to cause any physical issues like rubbing. As long as the speedo being off doesn't bother you, probably just run them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts