Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for a while for anyone that had previously installed this radio with no luck so I bought it in hopes it would fit correctly in my car.

Turns out to fit great with plenty of room to still use the shifter normally and have full access to the HVAC controls.

Stereo is a SSL DD7CPA-S

Has android auto and apple car play. Pans left/right/up/down and also has vertical adjustment. Sound quality is as good as any of your normal brands such as pioneer in my opinion.

Only negative id point out is the access to the cup holders. Still usable just can require some dodging with big cans/bottles.

Radio Gear shift Satellite radio Motor vehicle Plant
Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight Automatic
191 Posts
Few questions if you don't mind.

How is driving with this at night? I've always sorta been curious about these things but am worried that I'll get bothered/distracted by the brightness when driving at night.

How long did it take to install?

Did you need to splice any wires or was it a simple plug in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Few questions if you don't mind.

How is driving with this at night? I've always sorta been curious about these things but am worried that I'll get bothered/distracted by the brightness when driving at night.

How long did it take to install?

Did you need to splice any wires or was it a simple plug in?
This one has functional dimming when the headlights are turned on similar to OEM. It is a bit brighter then I'd like but not so much to detract from my night vision. It does just bolt in the stock location.

Approx 8 wire connections need to be made, I always recommend an adaptor harness that way the OEM radio can be reinstalled and all the wiring work can be done outside of the car.

Install took approximately 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
How is driving with this at night? I've always sorta been curious about these things but am worried that I'll get bothered/distracted by the brightness when driving at night
I have the same concern.

This one has functional dimming when the headlights are turned on similar to OEM. It is a bit brighter then I'd like
but not so much to detract from my night vision
Does it get dimmer when you turn down the gauge cluster?

I wonder how that signal works, seems like it could be modified to dim further. There may also be a limitation of how dim the unit itself can get.

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
342 Posts
I have the same concern.

Does it get dimmer when you turn down the gauge cluster?

I wonder how that signal works, seems like it could be modified to dim further. There may also be a limitation of how dim the unit itself can get.
So, the way radios like these work is it gets the info from the backlight wire for the old radio signaling the lights are on. You manually set the day brightness and the night brightness in the settings and it switches between the two. Never found mine harsh unless I turn off my headlights before turning the car off lol. I'll take a video of my head unit for reference later tonight after work.

For those curious about what I have installed:

Gear shift Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

It's alot bigger and I have to put drinks into the cup holder through the side, but I felt like it was a small compromise for a map I can read easier.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
So, the way radios like these work is it gets the info from the backlight wire for the old radio signaling the lights are on. You manually set the day brightness and the night brightness in the settings and it switches between the two. Never found mine harsh unless I turn off my headlights before turning the car off lol. I'll take a video of my head unit for reference later tonight after work.

For those curious about what I have installed:

View attachment 99087

It's alot bigger and I have to put drinks into the cup holder through the side, but I felt like it was a small compromise for a map I can read easier.
Thats a pretty clever spot for tweeters. Also, clean out that center console!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 10in ATOTO in mine ... yes it's brighter in the interior... no it isn't a problem.

The ATOTO also dims with the headlights on... acutally the problem with this is it dims in the rain when I have lights on and makes it too dim to see the maps so you have to manually switch it.

The 10in model reduces accessibility of the cup holders. It doesn't block them but its harder to get a cup in and out... since its in the way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thats a pretty clever spot for tweeters. Also, clean out that center console!
Lool yea it's an old photo when I was still tweaking things. I originally had the smaller Infinity reference tweeters in the sail panel, but these were alot bigger and I didn't want to cut into the dash. You should see where I had to hide the crossovers...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Vehicle Wood

·
Registered
2003 Honda Pilot
5 Posts
Looks like a great addition to the car, was wanting something like this but wasn't sure if there was an option for having CarPlay in a single-slot radio, guess this answers my question! You'd think these would have custom dimming though, is the brightness always completely static/preset or can you change it to be dimmer in some settings somewhere?
This radio is identical to the BOSS elite be7acp-cft... Interesting.
I wonder what the differences are, if any, or if it's another kind of Chinese rebranding thing like we see with most dashcams nowadays, gonna start poking around for some answers

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Honda Pilot
5 Posts
is the brightness always completely static/preset or can you change it to be dimmer in some settings somewhere?
In several manuals I could find of adjacent products you should be able to change the screen brightness in settings, is it that bright at night with the brightness all the way down? If so, I can't imagine how it would look all the way up
I wonder what the differences are, if any, or if it's another kind of Chinese rebranding thing like we see with most dashcams nowadays, gonna start poking around for some answers
They're the same, SSL and Boss rebrand the same head units under different model numbers which is shared across this and other designs of head units available on Amazon and else.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looks like a great addition to the car, was wanting something like this but wasn't sure if there was an option for having CarPlay in a single-slot radio, guess this answers my question! You'd think these would have custom dimming though, is the brightness always completely static/preset or can you change it to be dimmer in some settings somewhere?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
You can see in the video I have earlier in the thread that the brightness is set for lights on and lights off. Brightness is independent from the rest of the car, but both the brightness of lights on and lights off settings are adjustable so it's not too dim during the day and not too bright at night.

Thankfully there are a few single din options, some not too expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Day and night settings are independently adjusted in the settings as others have mentioned. the flip from day to night is triggered when headlights are off/on.

Still a bit bright but not obnoxious. I might had a layer or tint to the display of it bothers me to much.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Day and night settings are independently adjusted in the settings as others have mentioned. the flip from day to night is triggered when headlights are off/on.

Still a bit bright but not obnoxious. I might had a layer or tint to the display of it bothers me to much.
I highly recommend you don't tint it and check your settings. Almost all radios have a brightness adjustment. It's like tinting your phone screen instead of turning the brightness down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts