Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit 2/15/2016:
As you'll find out when you read down this thread, there was another member who was already making great belly aluminum panels when I started this thread. Name is Scott, And he goes by KLR3CYL. I now have one of his panels installed and it is AWSOME! Highly recommended. PM him, not me, if your want one.

Original post:
I am going to fab my own belly panel out of aluminum sheet metal, that I can obtain from my sheet metal supplier I use for business. However, the smallest sheet he can supply me will be good for about 6 panels

I was wondering if anyone else would like to purchase an aluminum belly panel?

If so please PM me to talk details. I wouldn't charge that much, just enough to recoup sheet metal and labor costs.

Im located in Denton Tx, but could ship them.

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts
I have 15 in production right now, will be ready in the next couple of days.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached is a one piece aluminum version I made a few weeks ago.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts
Prototype

This is the prototype, with the bead rolling.

The rear holes are slotted so all you have to do is loosen the back bolts to remove from the crossmember. The panel also has two less fasteners as it is one piece, so there is no need for the two that would normally be in the center where the plastic joined to the aluminum.

The price per panel is $65.00. I checked with the post office Saturday and shipping will be between $20 and $30.

Attachments

·
3,641 Posts
Awesome! An improvement over the Honda design.

IIRC the much smaller aluminum piece from Honda is $80+ alone, so this is definitely a good value.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the prototype, with the bead rolling.

The rear holes are slotted so all you have to do is loosen the back bolts to remove from the crossmember. The panel also has two less fasteners as it is one piece, so there is no need for the two that would normally be in the center where the plastic joined to the aluminum.

The price per panel is $65.00. I checked with the post office Saturday and shipping will be between $20 and $30.
Wow, KLR3CYL, slick looking panel.

Looks like this is not your first go around working with sheet metal?
Shipping to texas for one of your panels would only be $20-$30?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Pan

I tried to pm, but your mailbox is full. How much for economy shipping to 12401. Do you accept PayPal?

·
Administrator
11,458 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm interested, as I'm already missing an underbody panel.

I was thinking of ordering 2, would shipping cost be roughly the same for 2 (or more)? I'm in 07828.

One for myself, and I'd bring the other to the New England meet. I'm sure someone there would be interested and we would share the savings in shipping (well, I'm assuming shipping 2 pieces would cost relatively the same as shipping 1 piece).

You interested, Pete?

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts
Wow, KLR3CYL, slick looking panel.

Looks like this is not your first go around working with sheet metal?
Shipping to texas for one of your panels would only be $20-$30?
Thank you for the complement. I do enjoy working with metal.

Packing the part and shipping priority mail would be $30.00. Packed regular mail would be $22.00.

Thanks,
Scott

Talonmike, I don't know how it would do in the snow.

Sasha, yes the response to the panels has been very good, and my PM mail box reached capacity. I have cleared some older messages out and made more space.

I do accept Paypal, [email protected]. Also, I will update my signature to include it.

A panel shipped to you zip code would be $65.00 + $22.00 normal postage for a total of $87.00.

geocougar, I would be happy to send two panels in the same package. If you would add $5.00 to the shipping prices listed above for the two I will send them, if there is any additional in that case I will absorb any difference.

Again, Thank you all
Scott

·
3,641 Posts
Maybe arrange for an East Coast group-buy and have them freight shipped to a nice fellow in Connecticut ? May save a bunch of $ for buyers and a bunch of time for seller. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the complement. I do enjoy working with metal.

Packing the part and shipping priority mail would be $30.00. Packed regular mail would be $22.00.

Thanks,
Scott

Talonmike, I don't know how it would do in the snow.

Sasha, yes the response to the panels has been very good, and my PM mail box reached capacity. I have cleared some older messages out and made more space.

I do accept Paypal, [email protected]. Also, I will update my signature to include it.

A panel shipped to you zip code would be $65.00 + $22.00 normal postage for a total of $87.00.

geocougar, I would be happy to send two panels in the same package. If you would add $5.00 to the shipping prices listed above for the two I will send them, if there is any additional in that case I will absorb any difference.

Again, Thank you all
Scott
Scott, wondering what guage sheet metal the panels are? Will the ship flat I assume?

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts
Good evening,

The material I'm using is 18 gauge (.040).

It has taken me a little bit of time to make the panels as I have been perfecting my templates so additional ones will be much easier to make.

The panels will be done this weekend and ready to start shipping Tuesday.

I am working on a list that I will post tomorrow of all the people that have shown interest, in the order I have received them.

I will also post the pricing again with the shipping options and for multiple panels as some people have expressed an interst in more than one panel. I also intend to attend the event in Wisconsin in July, I may be able to bring some panels and or coil springs with me at that time.

In about 2 weeks I will be making a trip from Southern California to Seattle & Spokane towing a vehicle up to be dropped off and picking a different one bringing it back. If you are in Northern California or along the route up or on the way back I can make arrangements to drop of panels or springs along the way.

Freezin4, if when the meet happens in CT, I would be happy to take orders and combine shipping for multiple orders to one location.

Thanks to all,

Scott
KLR3CYL

1 - 20 of 578 Posts