Honda Insight Forum banner
561 - 580 of 586 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Please don't take this as a knock on the aluminum belly pan. Scott is a great guy, and makes great stuff. I've had my eyes on these for a long while. And now, after 19 years, my OEM plastic driver's side belly panel has ripped and I need to replace it. So, I've been considering one of these, even more seriously than before. But, after thinking about it more seriously . . .

With the OEM design, and my Fumoto valve (with drain tube), I can do a complete oil and filter change by only removing the driver's side belly panel. That means I only have to remove 6 bolts, to do an oil change. With the one piece, aluminum panel, I would now have to remove 8 bolts and 2 push pins, every time, right?

Would love to hear people's thoughts on how this panel helps/hinders oil changes for them.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Good morning,

I don’t take it as a knock.

I know you say you only take out 6 bolts, you don’t have to take out two push pins?

Yes, you are correct with my panel to do an oil change you would have to take out 8 bolts and 2 push pins. When doing an oil with the panel I make, I leave the rear cross member attached to the panel and take out the 2 bolts that hold the cross member to the car.

Poeple have asked about making some type of extra hatch or door for oil changes? The panel was designed one piece to stay rigid to deflect air. The one piece design keeps the cost down. If I were to cut and fab a door it would potentially weaken the panel and add cost for the additional time and fasteners.

One comment I have had is some people like the one piece design as it is easier to handle as it’s not flopping around when you go to mount it.

The current price of the panel I make is $120.00, shipped, with fasteners. I believe if you needed all three pieces from Honda it would be more than $200.00. If you don’t want my panel and just need one piece of OE or if you need a complete set of used OE, PM me, I have a few sets of very good used pieces.

I guess you have to consider how often you change your oil and how many times a year you would have to take out the 2 bolts and plastic push pins. When I do oil changes on these cars with panels I use a cordless ratchet and a set pliers that pop the push pins, so it probably takes me an extra minute, off and on.

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

Scott

Reactions: evilchargerfan

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,609 Posts
By removing the "Scott's Panel" for an oil change, you also have the ability to check other things under and on the engine for problems. Oil leaks, especially.

My opinion:
Willie

·
Registered
96 Posts
Please don't take this as a knock on the aluminum belly pan. Scott is a great guy, and makes great stuff. I've had my eyes on these for a long while. And now, after 19 years, my OEM plastic driver's side belly panel has ripped and I need to replace it. So, I've been considering one of these, even more seriously than before. But, after thinking about it more seriously . . .

With the OEM design, and my Fumoto valve (with drain tube), I can do a complete oil and filter change by only removing the driver's side belly panel. That means I only have to remove 6 bolts, to do an oil change. With the one piece, aluminum panel, I would now have to remove 8 bolts and 2 push pins, every time, right?

Would love to hear people's thoughts on how this panel helps/hinders oil changes for them.

Thanks!
Recently, I've been contemplating going that route, too, of installing one of Scott's pans on my car, since my OEM ones are getting a bit ragged. And, just a few weeks ago, I installed a Fumoto on mine.

Like you, not wanting to increase the level of difficulty in doing oil changes, my plan, if I ever do get a panel from him, is to take a hole saw and drill a hole, approx 1" diameter, into the pan, at the exact spot where my drain hose coming off the Fumoto would need to pull down through it, then get me one of those black plastic gommet caps to fill in the hole when I'm not changing the oil.

And if I want to get really "creative" (anal), I'll make me some type of little plastic tie loop, like from a ziptie or something, and loop it around the end of the drain hose, then connect the end of it to the grommet cap, so that whenever I pop the cap off, the end of the hose it right there where I need it, rather than having to fish around up inside the pan hole for it with the tip of my finger. And just to finish it off, I'll put a sticker over the grommet cap.

·
Super Moderator
5,423 Posts
Sheesh. Don't make this harder than it is. I have Scott's panels on three Insights. I never give oil changes a second thought. There is no problem removing the panel. Then you have easy access to everything and you can look around under there in case something else needs your attention. Removing the panel also makes it much easier change the filter.

Sam

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Thank you for your replies, everybody. I will continue to ponder. As for Scott's question, I never have to remove any push pins for an oil change. That aluminum piece that goes in between the bumper and OE plastic belly pans never has to be removed on my car, for an oil/filter change. But I do appreciate everybody's comments. I will ponder.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have Scott's pans on both my insights. In my opinion the benefits from better aerodynamics, structural stability for the front end, and protection for the underside of the engine bay far outweigh the few moments it takes to deal with the bolts for oil changes. I am a fan.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Yes still making panels. Located in Covina California. Current price is $120.00 shipped with hardware.
With the new format of the forum, I’m not sure you can see my signature as in the past version.
PayPal: [email protected]

If you need other payment options please PM or [email protected]

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Edit 2/15/2016:
As you'll find out when you read down this thread, there was another member who was already making great belly aluminum panels when I started this thread. Name is Scott, And he goes by KLR3CYL. I now have one of his panels installed and it is AWSOME! Highly recommended. PM him, not me, if your want one.

Original post:
I am going to fab my own belly panel out of aluminum sheet metal, that I can obtain from my sheet metal supplier I use for business. However, the smallest sheet he can supply me will be good for about 6 panels

I was wondering if anyone else would like to purchase an aluminum belly panel?

If so please PM me to talk details. I wouldn't charge that much, just enough to recoup sheet metal and labor costs.

Im located in Denton Tx, but could ship them.
I recently got high centered on a parking stop and severely damaged my under body panel at the front of my 2003 Ihsight. I have been unable to find a replacement or even a good part number/illustration of it. What might you charge for your aluminum replacement. I am located near Bastrop TX. Thanx, petros

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
The current price shipped with fasteners is $120.00.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,609 Posts
Petros:
Please include your Location in your Profile.
Thank You.
Willie

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Unfortunately you are not local. The guy that started the thread did not manufacture the panels as I already had them going.
The panels are made by KLR3CYL (Killer 3 Cylinder), Scott. I am located in Covina, CA. If you would like to order one my PayPal is [email protected]. If you do order, include your transmission type MT or CVT and your shipping info in the PayPal instructions.
Thanks,
Scott

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,609 Posts
You don't have to select any "reply" form. Just type your reply in (Write your reply) below the last message and push "Post reply".

561 - 580 of 586 Posts