Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have scanned the posts but cannot find my answer. It's hard to describe but when I start off in 1st gear, and say get up to about 3000rpm and engage the clutch, there is a sudden shutter from the engine as the clutch is engaged - as if the gearing was too low or I am stressing the engine. This does not happen in any other gear shifts.
Another way to describe it would be to say if I am getting up to speed quickly and shifting through the gears quickly, there is almost a 'sticking' feel coming out of first gear. Even with the clutch engaged and the rpm's are up, coming out of first gear I get a sharp 'click' noise and a slight engine shutter, as if I am pulling it out of gear without the clutch engaged. All other gears shift effortlessly. The only way to avoid all of this is to engage the clutch very slowly out of first and wait a few seconds before shifting to second.

Please Help!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Need to know more information. I'd have to guess (and probably correctly) 5spd or CVT, miles, and any maintenance due :?:

If its a 5spd try intentionally "stressing" the clutch by very early up shifting to 4th or 5th. Not enough to stall or cause the engine to go sub-idle. If the car similarly shudders then it reads like a worn clutch disk. Otherwise you need to eliminate any engine misfires that _will_ severely stress the CATs. Wait too long and you'll also have to replace these $1,500+ items sooner rather than later. :(

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John, Thanks for the reply.

It's a 5 speed with 32,000 miles on it. As you can guess, I have not had the car long. After further analysis I believe this is more related to an engine vibration that I have been trying to address. Shifting with heavy engine vibration seems to be an issue with my car. I am going to post a new thread with that question. But I do notice that there is quite a range between 1st and 2nd gear. I will also do the test you suggested. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Multiposted, locking.

Please review the rules, specifically #6.

Fragmenting your topic makes it much harder for members to follow and unnecessairly duplicates effort.

Please follow-up to:

Problems and Troubleshooting
Forever... engine vibration
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4150

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.