Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,419 Posts
I drove a $200 Insight 1,000 miles home.

Sam

·
Registered
384 Posts
Randy. Check your conversations. I sent some Craigslist links to Insights. 👍

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
11 Posts
i am in Salem, Oregon. Are you interested in it as more than parts?
It is tempting to jump on this and keep mine (that keeps having more and more issues) as a parts car. Can I ask what you would be asking?

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
958 Posts
I bought my CVT with a shot IMA pack and 295k miles for $750 and drove it home. Going strong at 304k miles. I've done a bit of work to it and have more to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my CVT with a shot IMA pack and 295k miles for $750 and drove it home. Going strong at 304k miles. I've done a bit of work to it and have more to do.
I've got a red '01 that I'm selling (I needed more cargo space, bought a '99 Subaru wagon).
160k miles. But, it's a CVT with a bypassed IMA (still 40-50mpg, and actually, I like not worrying about the IMA any more:)

Just had the a/c compressor belt start making noise, so since it'll need some work, I reduced the price to $2k. But I'm really going to miss my Insight!

Oh, sorry, Joule, it's in Wisconsin... but it's 75º, dry and sunny today. c'mon up!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have started going through my conversations and thank you for the support. I will keep this updated with news on what state I need to fly to and whos insight I buy. There's really a special adventure when pursuing these cars.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I'm in Georgia, I have a couple I'm currently wrenching on that are quite promising. PM'd you.

·
Registered
2001 Insight 5-spd
31 Posts
The IMA system uses "reverse torque" to smooth out engine power since it's a 3-cylinder. Without the IMA working the engine move around quite a bit more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello friends! I wanted to talk about the "adventure" I have had trying to buy a gen 1.

I have wanted a gen one for quite awhile, but having a car has always been just out of reach. Now that I have begun my working career I can afford to buy an Insight. But for the last 9 months or so every time I get close to finding any operable example it does not work out. I have had one no show on craigslist. The second one the car seller assured me was working just fine, everything looked great. But then refused to meet or sell me the car. His Facebook ad is still up and I just don't understand what's going on. I'm in North Carolina and it seems that finding an East coast insight is quite the challenge. I know only 17,000 were made there's probably closer to 10,000 on the road and not all of those are in the United States. But I look forward to finding one. I've been following the progress on the lithium conversion thread and it's really promising. I'm an electronics hobbyist myself and was an intern at a battery remanufacturer for the summer. I won't give up my quest looking for an insight, it's just too cool to ignore.

Any advice or encouragement means the world to me, thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Randy,
I have a blue 2002 Insight with only 39,000 miles on it. Its running on its third hybrid engine, I have become disabled (spinal arthritis and long haul Covid and will not be using it much but not quite ready to let it go. Its dear to me, Bought it with cash from Honda after my mother left m. e $20,000 after her death. I have been it only owner.

What might you consider paying fo my car? Last year in SF the same car (higher mileage) was selling for $5500.

Let me know?.....wishing you well with your search.

Bonita

·
Registered
2001 M/T Honda Insight
74 Posts
Hello friends! I wanted to talk about the "adventure" I have had trying to buy a gen 1.

I have wanted a gen one for quite awhile, but having a car has always been just out of reach. Now that I have begun my working career I can afford to buy an Insight. But for the last 9 months or so every time I get close to finding any operable example it does not work out. I have had one no show on craigslist. The second one the car seller assured me was working just fine, everything looked great. But then refused to meet or sell me the car. His Facebook ad is still up and I just don't understand what's going on. I'm in North Carolina and it seems that finding an East coast insight is quite the challenge. I know only 17,000 were made there's probably closer to 10,000 on the road and not all of those are in the United States. But I look forward to finding one. I've been following the progress on the lithium conversion thread and it's really promising. I'm an electronics hobbyist myself and was an intern at a battery remanufacturer for the summer. I won't give up my quest looking for an insight, it's just too cool to ignore.

Any advice or encouragement means the world to me, thank you.
Hi and welcome to our alien spaceship community! Well, you're not alone in this boat - what you are describing hits right there, close to home.
Through my experience buying and selling cars (let alone an Insight) people are just plain weird, whether it be the buyers or sellers. Here's how I learned to look at this whole situation. Shoot for the stars and if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon (in other words, expect the absolute worst and hope for the best).
I know it's not exactly encouraging to hear this but hey, at least you know you're not alone ;).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I might as well add my '02 blue CVT, 200K + miles to the list for sale. I currently have no big issues (except hatch needs key to open...probably broken plastic gear, and the common slight judder going from stop to accelerate on occasions, based on the bad clutch design of that CVT). The IMA battery may be 4 - 5 years old. I would have to check my receipt to know exact. 12 volt battery is fairly new. Paint is decent; just minor cosmetic issues for a 20 year old vehicle. I live in the Chicago NW burbs.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts