Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 insight manual bought it about 6 weeks ago and it’s been great, but two times in that 6 weeks a few weeks apart the car auto stops at a stop light I put it in 1st and nothing happens, I turn the key and it cranks using the 12 volt starter it then shows the battery gauge dropping to 2 bars then starts charging as usual. As the gauge gets over about 1/4 full the assist seems to help more than it usually does when the battery gauge is within few bars to full which is where it usually stays. I have no dash lights on no ima etc no codes. I just start trusting it and it doesn’t restart in traffic I’d like that to stop. Any ideas.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
Please include your location in your Profile.
Sounds like you need a good long trip to get the IMA battery back up to par. Or use of a charger to help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I sold Vegguy the Insight he has. I drove it for a month and had no battery problem. I think it needs a grid charge as well, seems like the battery is a little imbalanced.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Probably not related since you said it starts on the 12V, but I had a period when my car would not start from autostop when I put it in first. I discovered I had gotten lazy was wasn't pushing in the clutch all the way. I've never even heard one of my Insights start on 12V.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
I think one of your voltage taps (monitored pair of battery 'sticks') is dropping below 14V while in auto-stop, which disables the IMA/DC-DC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think one of your voltage taps (monitored pair of battery 'sticks') is dropping below 14V while in auto-stop, which disables the IMA/DC-DC.
Both of these incidents happened after starting the car from all day sit , driving about 1 mile or so stopping at grocery then the first auto stop after leaving store probably 2-5 min. So the battery isn’t having time to recharge after the short drive so charging and balancing will help this problem?

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
^ If that's the scenario it sounds like you have at least 1 cell with relatively fast self discharge, in which case "charging and balancing" would help as long as your net charge (like net amp-hours) during use stayed above the rate of self discharge (of the fastest self discharging cell)... Basically, yes, I think you need to do something with your pack, such as a good grid charge/discharge. I don't know of anyway to fix self discharge itself, unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone For your time and expertise. I will start researching grid chargers and figure out what I need.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
If it does it again. While in first, just tap the gas pedal and see if it starts.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
^ Not sure, but if the problem were a low voltage tap, then tapping the gas wouldn't restart it...

A couple things you might do in the interim, until you get your potential pack problems squared away:

-I think you can put your climate control in auto mode and it won't autostop? Maybe someone can clarify that. It may be that it will tend to auto-stop less, but not absolutely, because the CC computer will prioritize cabin temp...

-You can charge the pack at almost any time if you hold engine speed above 3000 RPM, even while driving. So, as a precautionary measure, perhaps when your 'BAT' gauge is below 18 bars (2 from the top), put it in neutral and rev the engine above 3000 for some time. You should see green charge bars, during which time you're pumping in about 12-24 amps of juice. Of course you can do something similar by just doing coasting and braking regen more when the opportunities arise. And, you can do this if you're just cruising along - put it in a lower gear and let the engine rev above 3000, light throttle, and you'll get charging as long as the battery isn't 'full'... If it's charging you'll see the green charge bars...

-Not positive, but you might be able to squeeze a bit more charge into that alleged low cell or two if you pull the underdash # 18 fuse to reset the battery computer, and then do the 'rev charge' thing: put fuse back in, turn ON, start car, BAT gauge will be at zero and car will try to charge the pack. Either let it charge at idle until the gauge repopulates, or hold engine speed above 3000 until the gauge repopulates. This might buy you a little more wiggle room...

·
Registered
320 Posts
On mine, 2002, putting the climate control on AUTO keeps the engine running below 18 mph no matter the outside temperature.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree with the thought you may not be pushing the clutch down enough. I’ve noticed the same problem with not autostarting when at a stop light... Sort of panic feeling when people are waiting behind you. (No patience nowadays.) Try pushing the clutch down further.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
^ That wouldn't explain the 12V battery warning light, auxiliary starter usage, and IMA state of charge determination routine kicking-in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Red demon and I installed a grid charger harness today so when I have time to grid charge it I’ll report if it just needed balanced. Thank u everyone for the help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts