Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while our beloved 2000 Honda Insight ("Teresa") sits idle in our highly secure bunker in Maine waiting for our return, we are looking for a 2nd Generation Insight in New Zealand. We can't find a 1st Gen here for sale.

There are however imported 2nd Gen insights from Japan, Britain, Singapore, Australia in right hand drive abundance.

So to cut to the chase, I want to know which year to get. We have 2009 to 2014 to choose from. I also want the options you think are the most important. By the way, the "models here are completely messed up due to the number of random importing countries.

My goal is to select the year and find the one with the options I want. Please grant me some of your wisdom.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Avoid the 2012-2013. Those model years had experimental low friction piston rings that caused excessive oil consumption and fouled spark plugs. Here in the US, (at least) there is an extended warranty and a fix involving tearing down the engine and replacing them. But in other countries, especially with gray market imports, you may be stuck with the repair cost yourself.

Don't know much about how the right hand drive Insights were packaged. You might be able to look up old brochures from Australia. I know that the folks in Great Britain & Ireland who get imports from Japan find that the navigation system is really Japan specific and just have to replace the whole system.

Here in the states there were only three trim levels. A base very stripped down, an LX with a simple audio system and no cruise control, and an EX with better audio and a usb input. The EX was also available with Navigation that, in the first years, also included bluetooth. Starting in 2012, bluetooth was standard in all EX models.

I do hope you know that any hybrid is a very poor choice to be left sitting for extended periods of time. If you are going back & forth without someone driving the cars on each end, you are probably better off with just a simple gas engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts