Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally experienced my first full tank of gas in my insight.
For reference I have a 2002 CVT insight (blue), with 130k miles on it.

I only managed to sqeeze out 54.2 mpg for the tank of fuel, Which was "ok" for what all I did. I did alot of cranking, idling, showing off, rides, for this tank so I'm guessing it worked out ok. It is pretty hilly around here and the in town MPG are killing my overal MPG average.

After my fill up, I loved going back toward town, If only I could keep these kind of MPG numbers! (alot was downhill or flat).

On the open road, I actually keep it in the 60+ range (close to 70 alot), but as soon as I hit town and run around these hills, It kills my MPG. As you can see here, For the first 60.9 miles I was doing fairly well considering.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have a long uphill commute, not too steep but it keeps me out of lean burn for about 10 miles. The good thing is that I can coast about 1/2 way home... The ideal commute would have a steep hill at each end that you could use to get some altitude, then a long gradual downhill. Finding such a route would be an interesting mapping project.

·
Registered
367 Posts
George, those are some great numbers with a CVT.
I once obtained 105mpg in my 2000 Insight MT on a beautiful day with a little wind at my back but I did not have a camera. Since then I try to keep a camera in the car but I have not been able to duplicate it as the Winter temps have dropped my average. Currently my LMPG is 77.7. I've attached a picture I captured the other day which to date, is my best door to door commute to work at 98.4 mpg.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd91 ... -07984.jpg

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you think you're doing good now ... wait until you get good at what's known as "Hyper-miling"!

Best of luck with the little beast! May you have years of fun driving with it!

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts