Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Its been a week i am driving this 2011 Honda insight and feeling little let down. Its MPG is 35-36. Which is bit of a joy killer after spending more then what i was suppose to just because it was a hybrid.
Done full service, Tyre pressure is ok and driving in city and motorway without using any heatre/ac.

Some people are complaining about their 43 mpg on this forum and mine (36mpg) is even bad, is it have some sort of fault which i'm not aware of.

plz remember its UK mpg.

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
Moved to G2. Thanks, Sean.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
7,195 Posts
If you are driving in London traffic, I can see how it could get that low. But a few points:
1. Stops always hurt mpg. If you can time stops so you can keep rolling that helps.
2. Quick startups hurt. Start gradually and don't apply too much acceleration.
3. Short trips badly hurt mpg. Combine trips to keep the number of full engine warm ups to a minimum.
4. Leave a little distance so that you don't have to continually accelerate, then brake.
5. Keep a steady foot on the accelerator.

This article might help:

Beating the EPA - The Why?s and How to Hypermile | CleanMPG

I would concentrate on just the section II and section III tips for now.

Be aware that some of the extreme mpg results are achieved under very special "competition" circumstances, but most folks can improve over time.

Can you tell us a bit about your driving environment?

·
Registered
35 Posts
36 uk mpg is about 30 us mpg. I never got that low on my 2011.

Only way i get near that low is with a passenger and cargo and a bike mounted to a trailer hitch .

Or I let my teenager drive it.

Are you using the correct motoroil?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It could be that, because he just bought it, it sat around a while. It may improve once the IMA pack gets back in shape. Of course we do need him to report back how things are going.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Check the oil with the dipstick. Insights take 0W20, which is quite thin.
If someone put 5W30 in (many Honda garages do) or worse then you lose some, especially with cold starts. If it does not look thinner than you're used to, it probably isn't.

Up the tire pressure somewhat. Insight tires are relatively skinny for the weight of the car, so raising the pressure helps. If you see them bulge out more than half an inch you're low, and getting below OEM pressure hurts a lot. (BTW you can't trust gauges on cheap pumps)

Check the brakes after a drive. If one is much hotter than the others that one is dragging.

Steep hills and high speed hurt economy a lot, just like accelerating and braking hard. Try to keep the speedo in the green (without hurting traffic of course).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mpg

Hello, Its been a week i am driving this 2011 Honda insight and feeling little let down. Its MPG is 35-36. Which is bit of a joy killer after spending more then what i was suppose to just because it was a hybrid.
Done full service, Tyre pressure is ok and driving in city and motorway without using any heatre/ac.

Some people are complaining about their 43 mpg on this forum and mine (36mpg) is even bad, is it have some sort of fault which i'm not aware of.

plz remember its UK mpg.
Hi Sean,sold my insight last July, getting another this week, never went below 50/55 mpg ,and I live in a v hilly area,though most journeys were 13 plus miles,I drive easy,but irrespective of that what you're getting ref mpg is appalling,need to change oil / CVT check plugs ,also make sure that software updates are done at local honda garage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts