Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

My Insight arrived today! I'm stoked. Driving it around the block I got 2.1 mpg! Hope it gets better :) One unexpected bonus with this vehicle is an after-market cruise control.

Have a bit of work to do before I can get it on the road, it was a salvage vehicle (recently bought through ebay). Does anyone have recommendations for parts' sources? I've found hondaautomotiveparts.com, does anyone have experience with them?

Enjoyed reading past posts, you're a very helpful and informative bunch. Looking forward to a long future on InsightCentral.

John Charlton

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
If it's the one I'm thinking about with the pretty hard front end damage I'd say you'd be better off finding one thats been hit from behind and use it for parts (or do the opposite). Insight parts are expensive. The web page you found or Hparts.com is probably going to be your best bet for the cheapest possible new parts. I've got a hook up for below wholesale and it's not a whole lot less than you'll find online.

One note, take a really really good look at the car's frame, if it's been touched at all you'll need to replace that whole front support on the car to make it safe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips, but mine is the not-so-beat-up one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2974112600

From the title seems like second time it's been salvaged, came from South Carolina. Impact absorbers seem uncrumpled though the bumper has a very small amount of crinkling, no issues with tracking. A few fits are out, windshield passenger-side a-pillar particularly has a big gap between the pillar and glass, but the pillar moulding isn't well-attached. On the whole a fairly simple project car, compared to some I've seen.

So far my list of requirements to get it road-worthy are hood, fascia, and windshield washer tank, hoses and nozzles. AC needs doing, but that can wait for summer. Not too bad.

-jc

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Ohh ok that one doesn't look so bad. I was thinking of this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2452166679
That one would need around 10 grand worth of work. Kinda looks like the condensor is missing in the picture, could just be the angle. One way you can tell whats been replaced if anything is to first look for vin tage. There should be one on on the door when it swings out and one in the door sill, there should also be one on the top of each fender that you can see when you pop the hood. A carfax on this particular car might be very interesting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the condenser is beat up, getting AC working could be the biggest expense. Carfax could be revealing, does it get into detail or does it just list title transfers? Would a Honda dealer be able to get repair histories for a vehicle? Getting it road-worthy shouldn't be too big a deal, but the fit and finish are going to take some work.

-jc

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
A carfax will tell you of any reported accidents and what type of salvaged title it was issued when and how many owners and when and how many miles were reported on the vehicle. A good source of information. They have two different services, one report for $20 or unlimited reports for $25 which will last you a month. When your looking for a car the $25 for a month is well worth it. Since you already have the car wait until someone has a carfax for a month going and have them run your vin, probably not worth dropping $20 unless you really want to know. I can tell more about a vehicles crash history by looking at the car closely than a carfax even can. The other thing is if it doesn't get reported it doesn't go on carfax so be cautious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts