Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting Insight, I've been filling up at 1 bar on the gas guage. I normally fill up in monthly intervals, clocking in an average of 53-55mpg and getting about a 530-mile range from mostly city driving (as in a typical Los Angeles city with lights and stops at practically every block). Fill-up is usually around 9.9 gallons, so if I run it almost dry (which I don't want to do), I can go farther.

The longest fill-up interval I've done was about 7 weeks. I'm into bicycling and sometimes ride my bike to work and often run errands and ride around town on my bike, so the extended fill-up intervals are doable for me, but I've never gotten as far as 2 months. I decided after the last fill-up if I could do it. I did and beat my goal by an extra 4 days.

Report:
Last fill-up on 3-28-11
Recent fill-up on 6-1-11 9.89 gallons added

Miles driven: 561 miles - all city (except about 14 miles of freeway that had some moderate hill climbing)

Onboard computer: 58.7mpg
Manual calculation: 56.7mpg

No special technique, though I'm still honing my hypermiler techniques.

This is my highest mpg tank average and longest range on a tank to date. How did I do? Is 600 miles on a tank (for a CVT) possible without risking running the car dry? Based on my records, I fill up 8 miles after the gas light has come on. I get paranoid driving with it lit, so I will fill up asap even though I've read that people can get about another 30 miles or so after it has come on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those seem to be outstanding #'s. I'm into my first week of ownership and 1 fill-up.

Recent fill-up on 6-17-11 7.02 gallons added

Miles driven: 381.2 miles - 30% city (50 mile RT to work-mostly flat)

Onboard computer: 52.1mpg
Manual calculation: 54.3mpg

Searching the forum for driving tips and best CVT mods. MIMA seems cool but not sure how long it will take for the mileage gain to recoup cost. I'm going to order the LSAS from joecvt. Not getting AS in stop-n-go traffic has been my biggest gripe, even if it won't greatly improve MPG I like when the car shuts off when it's getting 0mpg.

·
Registered
813 Posts
This is my highest mpg tank average and longest range on a tank to date. How did I do? Is 600 miles on a tank (for a CVT) possible without risking running the car dry? Based on my records, I fill up 8 miles after the gas light has come on. I get paranoid driving with it lit, so I will fill up asap even though I've read that people can get about another 30 miles or so after it has come on.
I can't speak for the CVT's or even necessarily the US cars.

In my 2001 Canadian MT, the gas light comes on at the transition from 2 bars to one bar, once, I saw it come on a little before this. It doesn't seem to go off again until the tank is >1/4 full. (I put $5 into my car from empty, and the light stayed on, despite having 4-5bars on the fuel gauge).

I have run my car ~50km (31mi) AFTER the LAST bar goes out, without running out of fuel. My record tank thus far on distance was 1038km (645mi). My insight only has the CARD switch mod, which I use infrequently; it is otherwise stock.

·
Registered
813 Posts
@TRI: That's with MIMA and FAS. I'm sure I could do considerably better with those tools at my disposal.

·
6,934 Posts
My best tank is also nearly 85MPG, and was before I had MIMA or any mods.

MPG alone is a terrible way to compare our cars to one another. Environmental conditions have a profound impact on MPG, and they vary immensely within even a state, let alone the whole country, or the world.

I like using my trip mileage rather than my tank mileage, even though tank mileage is a higher number - I've managed 82.0MPG over 1200 miles before(same trip as my best tank), which IMO is more impressive because it implies more widely varied terrain. ;)

Anyway.. I fill up about 1.3 times a month on average.

2010:
Code:
Total Fuel-ups: 16
Avg Miles/Fuel-up: 524.8
Avg Price/Gallon: $2.94
Total Miles Tracked: 8,397
Total Gallons Fueled: 145.33
Avg Price/Fuel-up: $26.82
Total Spent: $429.05
Avg Price/Mile: $0.05
Avg MPG: 57.8
2011 to Date:
Code:
Total Fuel-ups: 10
Avg Miles/Fuel-up: 538.2
Avg Price/Gallon: $3.62
Total Miles Tracked: 5,382
Total Gallons Fueled: 86.43
Avg Price/Fuel-up: $31.26
Total Spent: $312.64
Avg Price/Mile: $0.06
Avg MPG: 62.3
2010 was without MIMA, 2011 has been with MIMA(since Feb). :D

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Environmental conditions have a profound impact on MPG, and they vary immensely within even a state, let alone the whole country, or the world.
Yes, that's true. I live in mountainous Switzerland but I have also some +-flat areas. ;) MIMA/FAS helps me in the mountains but not more than 15% I guess.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Guess I drive a lot more than you guys :p I fill my tank up from empty about once a week. Kinda goes with the territory of living ~70km (43.5 mi) from where I work.

On a good day thus far, I've peaked out at 3.2L/100km (73.0mpg) on the 140km round trip.

·
6,934 Posts
It's definitely one of the perks of living ~2 miles from work.

I kinda wish my fiancee and I drove more though.. It's going to take forever to get Insight #2 over 500k. ;)

·
6,934 Posts
aisbell is also in Switzerland, I believe.

Edit: Oops, my bad.. That would be Sweden. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts