Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i figured instead of posting 2 topics, i would just make one topic and put both my current question in one :) :

How does one find out what production number their insight is?

also, how close behind a tractor trailor do you really have to get to get a good draft? im all for better mileage, but i dont like tailgating

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
1) Last 4 digits of your VIN #, and
B) Drafting IS tailgating. :shock: But I think the two second rule still puts you mostly in the slipstream of a Big Truck (18-wheeler to us 4-wheelers). After you get there, sneak in a bit until the buffeting subsides (about 1 second + back) and you'll be "in the zone."

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

THE DRIVER WILL NOT SEE YOU BACK THERE. They get reeeeeeeally humorless about that (I have a CB and can hear them b!tc4 and moan about your sandbagging them)... :?

YOU WILL BE TAILGATING, and may risk property damage, injury or death. :(

DO FOOLISH THINGS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I won't say I've never done the above foolishness, but hey... I can't condone it with someone who doesn't share my lightning-fast, cat-shaming reflexes and vast driving experience. :badgrin:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, i read about surfing, but cant seem to grasp the concept for some reason...maybe someone can explain it to me in lame-mans terms?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The cost of removing stone chips from your hood and windscreen will far exceed any savings in gas, and your HEPA filter will get clogged faster with diesel soot. Personally the smell of Diesel exhaust makes me sick so I tend to hang back a loooong way. As a bonus, I get to see other things besides the the dirty back of a truck. :D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Surfing is the even more harrowing practice of fitting inside the air cone beside the truck. As the Big Truck cleaves through the atmosphere at a high rate of speed, an air cone is formed from the front of the cab back through about, oh, 1/4 of the way of the tractor back from the coupler. Surfers would have you maintain your position here, roughly your-front-bumper to back-of-his-cab, blocking the go-fast lane or (gasp!) the right lane in those states that force the Big Trucks to drive on the left. Get a CB before you do this and listen in, you just think you know all the cusswords, insults, voodoo hexes, imprecations, and pet names for genitalia there are to know... I assure you, the Driver will provide you with many, many more choices in short order... :shock:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'd rather just drive slow.

Keep your speed to below 55 & the lean-burn will kick in. That will make your instant mpg bar jump to over 100mpg.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
boogetyboogety said:
Get a CB before you do this and listen in, you just think you know all the cusswords, insults, voodoo hexes, imprecations, and pet names for genitalia there are to know... I assure you, the Driver will provide you with many, many more choices in short order... :shock:
haha...i might have to do this just for entertainment

but in all seriousness, thanks for the advice, sounds like imma stick to driving slow :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts