Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a couple of weeks since the new tires (185/60/14 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S) went on and I wanted to give everyone an update.

Mileage - First week was tough as I had one morning commute that took 2 1/2 hours vs. the normal 55 minutes coupled with several evening commutes in torrential downpours and a/c running. First week I only managed to squeak by in the low 50's with the tires at 44 psi. Down about 3 mpg from normal. Second week has been much better with tires at 48 psi and no a/c. I'm averaging 56 so far with a 58 on this morning's drive in. Essentially, no change from where I was with the Bridgestones although I am driving a few mph slower staying between 62 and 65 mph most of the time. So, lower mph and higher psi equals almost the same mpg!

Ride and Handling - I can't say enough about this subject, but I'll try to restrain myself. These tires are worlds apart from the RE92s. The ride is significantly better. Even at 48 psi! The handling is fantastic and I have no problems with tramlining in ruts on the highway. Off ramps are a joy as this car just sails through like a go-cart. Don't let me forget, QUIET! These tires are so much quieter than the stock Bridgestones it's hard to believe that I'm running a wider tire with more rubber on the road.

Bottom line - If you are looking for an excellent compromise between high mpg and comfortable ride with great handling then I would heartliy recommend you give these michelins a try. If you are willing to air up a bit past max and slow down a smidge, my experience is that you'll come very close to maintaining your current mpg. YMMV. If you have the need for speed and are willing to sacrifice a few mpg to the ride and handling gods, then give these a shot. If however, you are happy with your Bridgestones and the thought of losing even one mpg gives you anxiety, then pass on these tires.

On a side note, the Wet Okoles are fantastic, the GOGRN vanity plate is on order and I'm toying with the idea of putting some silver/grey ghost flames on the side of my little silver spacebug! Also, I'm waiting on a reply from Rostra for a local installer and price quote on cruise control installation and the design work has started overseas on the prototype armrest!

·
Registered
211 Posts
A couple of questions...

I'm about to replace the stock tires on my Insight.

Could you tell me what you paid for these Exaltos?

Is your ride quieter with them?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price of Michelins

They cost me $72 each at my local shop. TireRack has them for $75. The ride is quieter and even at 44 psi the bumps are less jarring. Worth every penny IMHO. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: 2 week update!!! Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S update on M

spacebug said:
the design work has started overseas on the prototype armrest!
I'm very interested in an armrest! Black preferably, rather than trying to match the elusive grey/tan upholstering. Do you expect any prototype pics you could post?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts