Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wisconsin hybrid fine has finally taken effect, got my registration slip for $185
Truck was still $75 a year last month

Makes absolutely no sense to punish 20 year old economy cars, mine doesn’t even have a working hybrid system :(

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
It does make a little sense, admittedly in a perverse and counterproductive way. The reasoning is that they lose the gas tax because you don't burn as much gasoline. In these days of fairly obvious global increasing of green house gases, it is very perverse not to encourage less gasoline consumption. Unfortunately you live in an area with a relatively high percentage of "green" cars, so the state figures the tax loss is significant. The always cowardly politicians would have to raise taxes on something else if they let you off the hook
;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Delete the hybrid system completely and try to have the car registered as a purely gasoline car maybe?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I plan to place “Hobbyist “ plates my 2000 Insight next year. Not sure what the registration fee for the Chevy Volt will be...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I thought vehicles had to be at least 25 years old to qualify for hobbyish/classic plates? At least that's what it is in Michigan - min 25 years old and can only drive on weekends and parades.

·
Registered
206 Posts
20 years old in Wisconsin....

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I talked to the hybrid community for years that this fee would be coming and I urged folks to come forward to organize and preemptively oppose this.

All I heard in response was crickets.

So I do not have much empathy for after-the-fact hand wringing.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
20 years old in Wisconsin....
I talked to the hybrid community for years that this fee would be coming and I urged folks to come forward to organize and preemptively oppose this.

All I heard in response was crickets.

So I do not have much empathy for after-the-fact hand wringing.
I have been hand ringing for years, writing politicians and trying to bring awareness.

All these laws do is make vehicle buying decisions, my 1999 Insight would have collector plates already if the law allowed, Volt will likely sell.

Last time registration fees went up 2 million cars stopped being registered

Spite your nose situation

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ohio's is coming next year. Conceptually I understand the idea but their math is horrible. Ohio used a basis that gas cars get 25 mpg, Hybrid 50 mpg, and Plug-in Hybrid and EVs both get 100mpg.

So no additional fee for gas cars, $100 more for Hybrid, and $200 more for plug-ins and EVs.

I would have been okay with an extra $50 but $100/$200 more plus the normal registration fees is asinine.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I started writing letters to the WI State Journal on this as far back as 2014, and one was actually published in 2017. More attempts in 2019...but by now it is old news (or I'm not writing as well). Letters to governors (Walker and Evers), legislators, Sierra Club, Chris Rickert, the DMV and others...no use! This constituency is currently too small for the powers that be to be concerned about. But the whole thing (selectively taxing gas-only efficiency technologies - mainly "battery hybrids") is as bogus as it comes. I found out that Gov. Earl actually supported the (gas-only) Prius tax (that's what it currently is), I suppose, as a bargaining chip. Look what that got him...

All I (we) can hope at this point is that all those (~100K) gas-only Prius owners that start getting the bogus bill will notice just how bogus it really is and start complaining loudly to their representatives. That helped in Idaho, at least initially (not sure where it stands now). The next step is to check with DMV on what their list is for "hybrid" cars that will be targeted. If they start doing the mild hybrids, which are definitely covered by the way-broad definition, there will be a lot more people to join in the complaints. If they don't, seems an appropriate point to consider lawsuits, though I'm not sure who would have the interest and deep pockets to do that.

Keep agitating!!!

B

·
Registered
453 Posts
Time to get my de-hybridized Insight registered as a gasoline, non-hybrid car in case something like this ever comes to the state I happen to be living in at the time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I likewise plan to register my Insight either as a collector or hobbyist. So that fee is a one time double regular registration - plus $50. So that is $375!!! Absolutely ridiculous!!! I know ericbecky has been telling us that we need to do something - and get involved, and he is rightfully concerned!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just sent this to Tony Evers, governor of Wisconsin.

“Hello Tony Evers:

I’m writing to express my frustration with the terribly high vehicle registration fee on my 20 year old Honda Insight Hybrid. I purchased this car as a hobby car because it gets incredible gas mileage. It only weighs 1800 pounds and gets over 70 mpg. The latest registration is $185!!! Big SUV’s pay only $75, plus they weigh tons and put way more wear and tear on our roads!!!! I’m sorry, and I don’t typically get involved in these issues, but my economical Honda Insight surely should be applauded for saving on resources, and not penalized. When will we get smart and relate the registration fee to the weight of the vehicle??? This is the ONLY direct relationship to road destruction. Please please please get the registration fees back on the right track.

Thanks”

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
In Wisconsin, the original promise was that the fees would generate around $8M. Then they adopted what appears to be ALEC model language that said only "hybrids" with bigger batteries (over 4KWh) were to be included, which kept in plug-ins, but left out gas-only Prius (and Insight) class cars. Well, there aren't enough full EVs and plug-ins to generate anywhere near $8M...maybe more like $500K...from the fee. It undoubtedly cost about the same or more to manage the fee than what was actually being collected. They (finally) figured out it wouldn't work without charging the 100K or so gas-only Prius owners the $75 fee...and there is the $8M promised...Absolutely the Prius tax. Now the language appears to include any car that uses electricity to propel the vehicle...so actually every car out there. Then they will likely selectively pick and choose the targets to actually hit with the fee. Probably Prius...probably NOT Ford or Chevy or Chrysler mild hybrids. It is truly a joke.

B

PS...keep in mind that gas-only small turbo technology generates way more overall efficiency than all the hybrids (and EVs for that matter) out there, resulting in way more losses of gas taxes. No special fee on small turbos that I've heard about.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
By the way, here is the official definition of hybrid vehicle from the "updated" WI statutes...these folks are idiots!

"A hybrid electric vehicle is one that is capable of using both electricity and gasoline, diesel fuel or alternative fuel to propel the vehicle"

The discussions on this were nuts! And they explicitly state that this new definition is NOT supposed to cover "mild hybrids" (I didn't realize that before)...Prius tax all the way!

Again...what a joke!

B

·
Learner
340 Posts
Idaho did something similar around a few years back.

Registration fees for hybrid vehicles more them doubled. The idea was that the extra registration fee helps fund road maintenance. I was not amused. Thankfully, it got repealed so that you were only subject to the extra fees if the car was a plug-in hybrid or fully electric.

This at least makes sense. If you are driving your vehicle on public roads but not refueling at the pump, you aren't paying state and federal taxes accessed to help fund construction and maintenance of said public roads.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Fees should be directly tied to weight of vehicle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
9 Participants
bluesight
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing