Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Sorry to get back on my soap box...but keep in mind that limiting the fees to plug-in hybrids and full EVs does not likely generate enough revenue to even cover the administrative costs to the DMV for collecting the fees, especially in a place like Idaho. The numbers just don't make sense unless you're willing to charge $1000+ per vehicle, and even then. And if there is no added revenue to help "recover" lost gas taxes, what are the fees for? Well, maybe the ALEC model legislation was, as assumed, mainly intended as a disincentive for buying vehicles that didn't use fossil fuels. Maybe? The gas-only Prius tax is a face-saver to show that actual revenue can be generated by penalizing a particular (and very small) car driving constituency...that happens to be associated with progressive politics and Democrats. What a surprise? The only surprise I had was finding out that Gov. Evers, a Democrat and supposed progressive, actually proposed (or maybe went along with) this! He owns it now...what an albatross!

B

PS...Even former Gov. Walker (a real prize) wasn't dumb enough to agree to the gas-only Prius tax

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Oh...by the way...if you read Wisconsin Paper 696 carefully, it appears that G1 Insights fall in the category of "Mild Hybrid" since they "cannot power the vehicle using electricity alone". But, good luck convincing the DMV that their definitions are totally bogus!

B

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
OK...I requested the list of targeted vehicles from the WI DOT...here's what I got:

"Unfortunately, there is no list available of the vehicles that are subject to the $75 hybrid electric vehicle surcharge. We are able to determine which vehicles are hybrid vehicle through the VIN of the vehicle."

The joke continues!

B

PS...there does not appear to be a universal code that identifies a vehicle as a "Full Hybrid" (defined in Paper 696) in th VIN, so it is almost certainly the Manufacturer (first 3 digits) and vehicle attributes next (4 digits, also unique for each manufacturer). That means there must be a list of the cars with these 7 unique codes that they intend to target. I am insisting on getting that list!

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
The WI DOT intends to use a VIN decoder to see what the manufacturer thinks your car is. They pointed me to the NHTSA VIN decoder as an example (though it's not the one WI DOT uses, apparently). When I put in my 2002 Insight, the "Primary Fuel Type" comes up as "Gasoline". If it came up something with "hybrid" in it, I'd (we'd) probably be screwed. I was told that a "Gasoline" response would be considered a basis to contest a finding that my Insight is a "Full Hybrid" using the WI DOT form MV2010 (Registration Correction Request). If that works, our G1 Insights may be off the hook. Not sure about the gas-only Prius folks though.

Still is a joke...!

B

PS...rmay635703...if you have a gas-only Prius and you've been notified of the $75 fee, please put your VIN through the NHTSA VIN decoder and let us know what comes up for Primary Fuel Type. Same with anyone else with a gas-only Prius. Tnx

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I checked a number of vehicles with the NHTSA VIN decoder (e-Assist Malibu, 2013 Silverado Hybrid, Prius-all generations). They all had "Primary Fuel Type: Gasoline" including the Prius's, except that the Silverado actually specifies the "Series:" as "1500 Hybrid" and the fuel as flex fuel vehicle (FFV). Seems to be the only one that clearly fits WI DOT's criterion. So the WI DOT VIN decoder is giving hidden results that are somehow subject to the WI DOT's opaque "research" process to determine if vehicles meet the ambiguous legislated definition. Continues to be a joke!

My recommendation (and I will make it more strongly in another post) is that, if you get a WI registration renewal for your G1 Insight that specifies you owe the extra $75, submit a WI DOT form MV1020. Check the "Other" box. Attach the NHTSA VIN decoder output with a note indicating that the"Primary Fuel Type" is "Gasoline" and not "Hybrid" along with your renewal certificate. It doesn't cost much to do. It will probably be rejected, but maybe not. And, hopefully, they will say why it was rejected, but probably not. If we all do it, maybe WI DOT will notice!

B

PS...Interesting...the Prius Plugin has a "Primary Fuel Type: Electric" with the NHTSA VIN decoder. So that is a distinction that would, undoubtedly, meet the WI DOT criterion. Maybe even the gas-only Prius can contest the fee based on this.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Further followup...The WI DOT recommendation about submitting the MV1020 with the above explanations was totally useless:

"I would suggest mailing in the correction application so further investigation can be done."

So, they can't tell us what the investigation process is, they will only let us submit forms (over and over) until it does or doesn't work. If it is rejected, what do you think the likelihood is that the WI DOT will tell us why? Based on the above response...I think it's very LOW.

Please...PLEASE...submit the MV1020 if you are getting the renewal notice (with the $75 kicker). And please let us know the response you get.

B

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's crazy to punish people for doing something good for the environment. In a high traffic state like where I live (NJ), the increase in SUVs and small trucks has caused the average vehicle weight to rise significantly and the roads don't last nearly as long. These are the vehicles that should have large registration surcharges. They cost us money in both road and environmental damage.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
PS...rmay635703...if you have a gas-only Prius and you've been notified of the $75 fee, please put your VIN through the NHTSA VIN decoder and let us know what comes up for Primary Fuel Type. Same with anyone else with a gas-only Prius. Tnx
PLEASE NOTE...My current recommendation is that gas-only Prius owners should NOT use this procedure to contest their status at this time. You can PM me to discuss the details...but PLEASE consider delaying this if you are a gas-only Prius owner.

B

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
It does make a little sense, admittedly in a perverse and counterproductive way. The reasoning is that they lose the gas tax because you don't burn as much gasoline. In these days of fairly obvious global increasing of green house gases, it is very perverse not to encourage less gasoline consumption. Unfortunately you live in an area with a relatively high percentage of "green" cars, so the state figures the tax loss is significant. The always cowardly politicians would have to raise taxes on something else if they let you off the hook
;)
jime...there can be many points-of-view on this. But this is a case of extremely effective marketing. It isn't a lie that some hybrids burn less gas than some non-hybrids. EVs, even more (less) so. But the marketing narrative is that hybrid owners (and EV owners) are actually cheating everyone else because they are using the highways and not paying their fair share. Therefore they are worthy of special punishment in the form of extra taxes to offset their offensive behavior. All other benefits of their actions are of no importance...irrelevant. Now, who would be marketing something like that? It might be the fossil fuel industry? And it might be an organized effort through an opaque organization like ALEC? Supported with lots of money from interested parties, like the Koch brother(s)? And if you think that's a conspiracy theory, well that's offensive behavior as well...

The practically perfectly compliant target for this type of marketing is the target that is getting hurt the most and still responds positively to the message. It's not a criticism, because that's the way this marketing is meant to work...and it does...

B

21 - 31 of 31 Posts