1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all --

You may recall our adventure of replacing our gorgeous 2001

how to replace gen1 IMA battery

with a 2000 after she lost against a deer :-( She ran well for a couple of months, including performing well on the 2001 battery, but then developed some hiccup that we can only describe as being rev limited (clear and distinct "cutting out" and running again) just under 3000 RPM as well as slightly off power. Our guess is that this is computer-driven and thus likely a sensor issue, but we aren't auto mechanics :) Thanks to Pandemics Finances, we haven't had a chance to get her to the shop for a diagnosis; we've just been running her to warm (~15 minutes) weekly or so.

As we finally look at spending money to get her fixed up and realize that we've done well without her for so long, it occurred to us that maybe we should just sell her instead, and here's your chance to get her at the before-fixed price. She also has a small roof fairing leak which we haven't pinned down but did stop temporarily, and two of the seat bolts on the passenger side need to be retapped to make her an actual two-seater, but I think that that's all. The body is in good shape and the tranny is lovely as far as we know.

If you're interested, contact me for details and pictures and to make a conditional offer. Visits (Alpharetta/Milton) by appointment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi @lauratg , the buy-and-sell section rules specify you gotta post an asking price and at least one photo.
Thanks, and sorry about that. Still new here :)

Also, this is in Georgia, salvage//rebuild law really sucks here. Was the car "totalled" by your insurance and do you have a salvage title? Or does it still have a clean title?
The deer-dead car is gone. This is the replacement, with our original IMA battery swapped in. No insurance claim, no salvage title :)

Thanks again & have a great day

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again, all --

She's been to the mechanic for a checkup, and she does indeed have problems. Apparently she needs, at a minimum, a new hybrid pack as well as a cat converter and two struts. She's driveable, but we don't plan to fix her.

She's currently (Wednesday) in Dacula, but she can't stay. We're going to move quickly one way or another, so here's your chance to pick up a working project or just lots of parts for $500 or best offer ... but don't delay! :)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Hi again, all --

She's been to the mechanic for a checkup, and she does indeed have problems. Apparently she needs, at a minimum, a new hybrid pack as well as a cat converter and two struts. She's driveable, but we don't plan to fix her.

She's currently (Wednesday) in Dacula, but she can't stay. We're going to move quickly one way or another, so here's your chance to pick up a working project or just lots of parts for $500 or best offer ... but don't delay! :)
I am interested, and messaged you!!!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on this car. I drove over to see it today. David and Laura are wonderful people and have a great car here for the price. It could be restored and driven/resold or flipped for a nice profit. Or it could be used as a parts car and easily make back the amount invested. Ultimately I decided to buy it, but then at the last minute as I was finishing my test drive I said to myself,

"Self, you have four cars, one of them a project. You have no room in your driveway for this. You are going to tire yourself with yet another project and for what? Let someone else have it who has more time/energy/less projects." Sometimes we just have to go with our gut, and mine has never let me down in all the many cars I've bought.

So I didn't buy this one. But for the money as I said it's a drivable car with working A/C that's in decent shape. For someone with the room/time/brain space for a project, this is a steal. A steal, folks!!!!

With the owner's permission I pulled a Natalya and disconnected the three connectors from the IMA pack so it would be done right, and left it that way.

Plusses:
-Drives in gas only mode
-A/C works
-Would clean up nice
-Has new tires and good rims
-IMA pack might have some life if deep discharged and then grid charged...maybe
-Affordable
-Headlights appear almost new

What you'll need to consider:
-Front cat needs to be replaced, it is rattling
-Because of the above the car goes into limp mode rather easily
-One of the cat bolts is rounded off and will need to be dremmelled off/replaced
-Some corrosion on grounding wires
-Needs a good cleaning
-Is leaking
-Passenger seat not mounted/female threads need retapping

Again, for the steering wheel/headlights/rims/tires alone one could fetch the asking price of the car. Or replace a few things, clean it up and have a nice gas only G1. Or sell. Lots of options here. Just too much for me to take on. But if you're close check it out!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm interested and trying to figure out the logistics.

I'm down in St. Petersburg FL. Do you think she's drive-able with the under power from here to there?

Are the Struts need Front or Rear? I'm assuming front.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I'm interested and trying to figure out the logistics.

I'm down in St. Petersburg FL. Do you think she's drive-able with the under power from here to there?

Are the Struts need Front or Rear? I'm assuming front.
...maybe. Honestly part of my reason for not getting it was the 2 1/2 hour trip home. Had it been around the corner I probably would’ve gotten it but I don’t know that I would drive as far as Florida. Is the kind of situation where because of the issues it’s probably best for somebody close. That said it might make it all the way to Pluto you never know. But my main concern was breathing the carbon monoxide leaking from the catalytic converter, we had to create a gap there to trick/keep it out of limp mode so it would have any power at all. Otherwise it’s undriveable in a safe manner imho. Just my opinion I could be wrong.

if anyone has questions feel free to text me at 706-4one4-4twotwo4 and we’ll talk. EST. Jeff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just asked Craig, our mechanic. This was his response:

"All 4 should be replaced, but it's no emergency for a careful road trip. The risk is having to make an emergency maneuver that's quick or on choppy pavement; you won't have the control you should, possibly allowin an accident that would have been avoidable. "

It's a "project" car. What can I say? :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi @lauratg , the buy-and-sell section rules specify you gotta post an asking price and at least one photo.

Also, this is in Georgia, salvage//rebuild law really sucks here. Was the car "totalled" by your insurance and do you have a salvage title? Or does it still have a clean title?
It has a clean title. It is not a salvage title.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts