Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -
I'm very close to purchasing a used 2000 Insight (5 speed) with 62,000 miles on it.
Any advice from drivers who have a similar vehicle?
Thanks, Mark

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Mark:

___Did you read the links from Rick and I as well as the details in your E-Mail? What particular questions do you have about this Insight? Was it well cared for? High or low lmpg? Tire wear look about right for the miles on her? Any maintenance receipts or Honda recall/TSB’s performed? Exterior appearance? Interior appearance? Did the mechanical drivetrain feel right for the test drive … etc.?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2p3azing][email protected][/email:2p3azing]

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just purchased my '01 a few months ago with 57k miles and it now has almost 60k, so I'm in the same boat as you. My seller was the original owner and had all previous service records. It had recently had a new 12v battery installed, new front brakes, etc. I got a great deal on it because I bought it in a market where there just wasn't a lot of interest in the Insight.

Anyway, it's been totally trouble-free in the short time I've owned it, and just a pure joy to drive. The lmpg on the car is kinda low compared to some people around here (around 48) but the prior owner did mostly city driving and didn't really drive for economy. But I easily get 60 mpg on long hwy trips without even trying and at speeds of 75+ mph.

In short, I don't think your have much to worry about if the car is clean and well-maintained. But fire away with any specific questions if you have them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Skimmer - I just took it to a Honda dealership to do a buyer inspection and the only thing they suggested were to replace the 12v battery and get new tires. I think I'm going to get it.
My concern is that the battery (at least during the 1 hour test drive) never got to 100%. Is this normal? Also, my average mpg during my test drive was 53.9, which is just slightly above the 53.7 lmpg that the car gets.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
A new 12 volt battery and new tires is not a huge deal. You're looking at about $260 for new tires, and probably another $60 for new 12 volt. You'll likely have to get the civic battery, they don't have the Furukawa stock battery available in the US.

The battery gague never hitting the top bar is completely normal. Durring normal driving the gague should hang around the 2nd to 4th bar down on the gague. The only time you'll ever see the top bar is on a long down hill or a long freeway off ramp.

As far as the mileage thats pretty standard for a new driver. It takes some time to learn how to get higher mileage, and it depends largely on terrain, ambient conditions, tire pressure etc etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts