Honda Insight Forum banner

2000 citrus 5spd with A/C and custom air lift performance suspension (SOLD)

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ThinkFab 
#1 · (Edited)
Year
-Color
Citrus
-Transmission (5spd/CVT)
5spd
-Current Mileage
209,800 mi
-Asking Price
$3000US
-High Voltage Battery Age/Condition
roughly 11-12 years, needs to be reset with moderate use, but does function okay under light use and in warmer conditions. Needs to be replaced or refurbished
-Transmission Condition
Excellent
-Engine or IMA Codes Showing
Yes, both. I can get that info later, but don't have the codes on hand.
-Interior Condition Summary
I took the seats completely apart and soaped/power washed the foam and covers, put them back together, and put seat covers over them directly afterwards, and removed and washed the entire carpet and interior panels about 6-7 years ago when I bought the car. missing the OEM floor mats so I made my own. replaced OEM door speakers with polk 6.5" and added one of these behind the drivers seat as well. The car has 5% window tint on all windows except the windshield, and the windshield has 20% tint. Alpine head unit. intermittent working backlight on left side of the instrument cluster. trip button has stopped functioning.
-Exterior Condition Summary
the pass. side was painted and a dent was repaired before I purchased the car. I was told it was backed into in their driveway at a low speed. paint is starting to fad a bit. the hood has damage and the Honda emblem is now gone. the antennae could stand to be replaced as its held together by tape at the moment. drivers window gasket is preventing the window from rolling up unless you help it. the car will come with several replacement parts that I purchased but haven't put on the car yet, including the drivers window seal, drivers front bumper aero (whats it called again, in front of the tire?) several gaskets, clips and hardware. comes with a brand new set of OEM bridgstone RE92 tires with the labels on them. the tires on the car are at the end of their life. Also, there is a custom made (obviously) receiver hitch on the car, that I mounted to the frame rails with a welded aluminum spacer in the frame to keep it from crushing. The air suspension was originally a prototype kit for an Acura RSX that I made to fit the car. Mini Cooper rear strut cartridges with custom made T-bolt mounts with spherical bearings. New shock mounts were made and welded to the trailing arm to fit these on the car. The air management is the AirLift V3 with 3/8" air lines. The air suspension does not and has not ever leaked and can be driven without the management system functioning. I used to be a prototype suspension engineer at AirLift Performance and that is why this one off kit exists. The valving needs a little tuning to feel proper on the road, but would be very well suited on a race track with an RSX engine swap.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,
What is the paint on the roof and hood like? Are all under body panels still in place?
Not that I would want to switch it back to stock, but could the suspension be put back to stock if I had an old parts or a donor car?
Do you have interior pictures and of engine bay?

Thanks,
Jeff

#5 ·
the hood is not in perfect condition, and had some damage at some point before I found it. the paint is a bit faded on the hood and roof. some of the underbody panels are missing or were cut and zip tied or screwed to the body. the suspension could be put back to stock with spacers in the front, but the rear lower shock mounts are completely modified and won't be able to be returned to stock without reversing the modification. I do have the old suspension, but the rear shocks are blown. I don't have interior pics or engine bay pics on my computer but I could get some eventually. I am sick with the flu right now, and I won't be going outside in this cold unless I really need to.

#7 ·
Well, I ended up finding some time to do a full interior/exterior detail on this car a few days ago, so here are some updated pictures. I am moving from MI to CA next Monday, and I am realizing that I really need to sell this car before I leave, since I will be gone for 7 months, and we all know letting a car, especially a hybrid, sit for that long is not a good idea. So here we go...

Attachments

#9 ·
the windows are all tinted very dark. most people would not tint a windshield at 20%, but since I have a second car that I can drive at night, it works for me. sides and hatch are 5%. it is essentially impossible to see the driver in this car unless you have a flashlight on the window.

the engine runs okay. it has a little bit of a shake to it, but I still get 60-70mpg on average when temps are above 40 or so. check engine light is on for an o2 sensor. doesn't seem to be making the MPG worse, so I haven't done anything about that. IMA light pops on from time to time, and I reset it by pulling the negative battery terminal. Be nice to it and the IMA light stays off.

the sound system is pretty nice. just an upgraded head unit with a remote, and all new speakers, including the added speaker behind the seat. Still not sure why they left a hole for a speaker there, including wiring, but never added the speaker.

this car has the airlift V3 digital air management system with 3/8" air lines. it moves very fast because of how light it is. back when I was working at Air Lift, I installed the kit, and made all of the custom suspension components for it in house. Rest assured this will be the only 1st gen insight on full race performance air suspension ever. The rear air springs were custom made, and were the first set we ever made. They are making these air springs now, so if you ever needed a replacement, you could make that happen with a quick call to airlift customer support, and they will hook it up. The suspension is stiff, and as such, this car feels amazing on a race track. I can only imagine how it would feel with the addition of a K-series engine under the hood. The downside to it is that the rear suspension needs to have the T-bracket mount pulled out and sent in to get a .005" layer of nickel plating added to it, as the tolerance is just a hair to small, and it rattle while driving. An easy fix, but it does get annoying to passengers who think the car is broken, lol. I actually have a spare pair of the t-brackets that I can send with the car, so you could get them plated without having to put the car on jack stands till the parts came back.

I also made this receiver hitch that is mounted through the frame rails and the front of the spare tire well area. Hard to see it in the pictures, but I also had to rebuild the rear pipe and muffler in order to do this and make sure it would be able to hand the weight of a trailer hitch, or someone randomly deciding to jump on the ball. It is very sturdy, but the engine and hybrid system are not a fan of pulling a trailer, so I have only used it a few times. Would be amazing if this car was engine swapped with a K series to be able to pull decent weight though.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.