Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a notification recently that there is a 2000 Citrus in the LKQ Pick Your Part in Greer SC.

The pictures on the LKQ website makes it looks like it sat under a tree or was pulled out of a swamp though. :(

That said, if anyone would like me to make a run and see if anything special is in salvageable condition let me know. I could probably pull the parts and ship to you, if you pay cost of part and shipping.

VIN: JHMZE1358YT001394

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Greer-213/

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Too bad it doesn't seem to have the unobtanium front citrus emblem on the hood, that seems to be the holy grail of Insight parts nowadays

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Too bad it doesn't seem to have the unobtanium front citrus emblem on the hood, that seems to be the holy grail of Insight parts nowadays
I have a new one from Dogbite restoration.

Was installed off center, so I made the body shop take it off and replace it. Just like new - needs back adhesive

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
That car looks restorable. I done't see any significant body damage. It looks like tree sap on the car. If so, that can be removed. If I were closer and in market, I'd be over there with some sap remover and check it out. Wonder if they would say what the problems is? Could just be the IMA battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That car looks restorable. I done't see any significant body damage. It looks like tree sap on the car. If so, that can be removed. If I were closer and in market, I'd be over there with some sap remover and check it out. Wonder if they would say what the problems is? Could just be the IMA battery.
Yeah it’s hard to say. I was wondering if they would sell the whole car also, although it would come with a salvage title at this point.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
looks to be in about the same condition mine was in when I acquired it two years ago.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
I'm not sure how important a salvage title really is for cars this old. To me the main concern would be, what is wrong with the car that it wasn't in use.

I called the yard and asked whether the car ran and drove, but they don't even record that info. If someone wants to consider it whole, better act fast. The rear wheel covers, the wheels, the A pillar garnishes, and the hood will go fast.

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
Call them now. In my experience salvage yards will never sell a complete car, but you might get lucky.

Sam

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,446 Posts
I called, there isn't a direct line to their shop it just goes to a national office or something. I didn't try to talk to a manager or anything, but the lady on the line said they would not sell the whole vehicle. Someone there with more authority might say otherwise.

Last year I did see an undamaged Insight at a different yard where they were willing to sell the whole thing but they were asking way more than it was worth. (Also wasn't a citrus.)

·
3,641 Posts
State laws vary.
In Maryland, salvage yards are like Hotel California for cars: "You can check [in], but you can never leave". Once the yard takes possession, the VIN is deleted from the state registry and cannot be registered ever again. :(
That car just has some moss growing on it..."it should buff out" :) (I think!)
Definitely grab the skirts!
And see if you can take a small 12 Volt LiOn battery jumper to hook up to 12 volt and check the mileage on dash. It would definitely be worth saving if it is a low mileage example.
I will check the Citrus registry to see if we have any info already.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
State laws vary.
In Maryland, salvage yards are like Hotel California for cars: "You can check [in], but you can never leave". Once the yard takes possession, the VIN is deleted from the state registry and cannot be registered ever again. :(
That car just has some moss growing on it..."it should buff out" :) (I think!)
Definitely grab the skirts!
And see if you can take a small 12 Volt LiOn battery jumper to hook up to 12 volt and check the mileage on dash. It would definitely be worth saving if it is a low mileage example.
I will check the Citrus registry to see if we have any info already.

I think I will run over there tomorrow afternoon and look it over. I will report back what I find. I will probably grab a few parts off of it while I am there. Ill find a 12v source and check mileage.

Skirts and a few interior items are what I am planning on getting, the skirts I do not have an immediate use for and will be available for a fellow Insighter in future need until I do.

If there are any other specific things that anyone is interested in let me know, either PM or post here. I will probably head that way around 11:00 am EST tomorrow (04/26/19). I will have my phone on me and check for requests.

Additionally if someone decides to purchase the car outright (if possible) and I still have the parts I get, I will sell them back at cost. I wish I could get the whole car myself but, I can already feel "the look" from the wife just for thinking about it :eek:.

-Drelen

·
3,641 Posts
Drelen,
That is very nice of you to do (and offer) this for the community!

·
3,641 Posts
PMd you..............

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
bad news. She's already been stripped. Not much left. I will spare all of the gruesome details. I was able to get the random dash stuff I was looking for (button blanks and the panel below the radio) but there was not much else left. Although the engine seemed in there but rest is gone, I couldn't check milage. Rear hatch area was completely gutted.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
bad news. She's already been stripped. Not much left. I will spare all of the gruesome details. I was able to get the random dash stuff I was looking for (button blanks and the panel below the radio) but there was not much else left. Although the engine seemed in there but rest is gone, I couldn't check milage. Rear hatch area was completely gutted.
I'm glad I didn't make the 5 hour trip!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts