Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of reviving a 2000 Honda Insight that my brother gave to me after letting it sit inoperable in his drive for about 7 years. When I started down this journey the first thing I had to replace was the fuel pump. Whatever gasoline stabilizer had been added to the tank literally dissolved the fuel strainer/filter and the resulting debris clogged the pump and killed it. After getting a new fuel pump and strainer in (note: I purchased an aftermarket Denso unit, not the OEM Honda unit), the car started up and could move under its own power.

However, once I got it back on the road, a couple MILs came up - one for misfire cylinder 1 and another, p0172 - system too rich bank 1. I pulled the injectors and sent them out to be cleaned. I got them back and the flow chart showed the injector in Cylinder 1 was essentially completely clogged, but after cleaning was in spec.

After re-installation, the misfire code cleared up, but the system too rich code remained. I tested the fuel pressure per the FSM (and Iach's post) and the pressure with the FPR vacuum hose disconnected and clamped was 56 psi (spec is between 40-47 psi), pressure with the FPR vacuum hose connected was 50 psi (spec is between 30-37 psi) and would rise to 58 psi when the FPR vacuum hose was completely disconnected.

I then replaced the FPR (with an aftermarket Delphi unit) as it seemed like it potentially wasn't functioning correctly (and it was relatively cheap).

The fuel pressure with the FPR vacuum hose connected is now down 42 psi - still out of spec, but much closer to the 30-37psi it's supposed to be.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get the fuel pressure down to spec? I disconnected the feed and return lines from the tank and blew compressed air through them to make sure they weren't clogged in any way. Neither the feed or return line has kinks in it or anything of that nature. Could it be that the aftermarket pump is simply out of spec and supplying too much pressure?

Thanks in advance!

- Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured I'd update this in case anyone has a similar problem later on - there's a plastic plug in the fuel rail that acts as a screen for the fuel exiting to the FPR. I removed it with a hook tool and cleaned the rail again. A bunch of debris I missed in the initial cleaning came out. I put everything back together and the pressure is within spec.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts