Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I have a 2000 Insight 5 speed which I love. Well the dreaded IMA light came on and I am being told it will cost 3800 for a new battery pack. I found Re Involt by surfing and they say they can sell me a new pack for 1900. Two questions: 1. Can I put in the new pack myself (I have no clue how heavy it is or how difficult all the plugs are) and 2. Is it worth it for a 12 year old car. Even though I love the car at some point it becomes a money pit.

Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
....1. Can I put in the new pack myself (I have no clue how heavy it is or how difficult all the plugs are) and 2. Is it worth it for a 12 year old car.
Hi,

Answer to question (1) depends on badly you want to fix the battery yourself.

Take a look at the links below. They show how to get the battery out of the car, add a trickle charge cable, which you would need, and how to fix the battery once it is out.

The battery weight is 70 lbs, and I got it out myself. Just be careful when lifting it out and putting it back.

Picasa Web Albums - Jim - Battery Trick...

https://picasaweb.google.com/threewheeler100/BatteryRefurbishing

Hope this helps.

Jim.

·
3,641 Posts
Budget about $2000 or so for the new battery.

Replacement is a few hours labor.

Insights are well made. They have been known to drive past 500k miles without any fuss. I have 252k miles on mine and it runs the way it did a 100,000 miles ago without asking for much.

The usual issues besides the battery are: transmission input shaft bearing, and synchros, sway bar links, cat converters, EGR valve/plate clog, trip meter switches, couple of rain leaks, expensive spark plugs, motor mounts, grounding straps and a few other relatively minor and predictable issues. Mostly wear and maintenance items, and not equipment failure due to poor engineering as in some other makes.

It's a personal decision, but all of these items are cheaper to overcome than getting into a new car. Are the new convenience and safety features, and the hit in fuel economy worth the expense for you?

How many miles are on your car? Where are you located?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are great picture. It makes me think I can do it. Where would I get that trickle charge cable?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Freezin4

THank you for the reply. It is funny you mentioned synchros, I have a problem with them and the mechanic said to just let it go (I was not sure if that was a good answer or not).

I am in Florida so snow is not an issue and I have about 168,000 on the car.

I always heard Hondas are well made I did not know they were that good. You bring up a great point that it may in fact be better to invest in the car if it can really go to 2,3,or 500,000 (gas alone would make that worth it). Although I like bigger car safety features (either my car is small or my cloaking device is on :D)

I may give it a shot in fixing it myself, but I am going to do more research (do you have any advice on fixing it myself?)

Thanks again!

Budget about $2000 or so for the new battery.

Replacement is a few hours labor.

Insights are well made. They have been known to drive past 500k miles without any fuss. I have 252k miles on mine and it runs the way it did a 100,000 miles ago without asking for much.

The usual issues besides the battery are: transmission input shaft bearing, and synchros, sway bar links, cat converters, EGR valve/plate clog, trip meter switches, couple of rain leaks, expensive spark plugs, motor mounts, grounding straps and a few other relatively minor and predictable issues. Mostly wear and maintenance items, and not equipment failure due to poor engineering as in some other makes.

It's a personal decision, but all of these items are cheaper to overcome than getting into a new car. Are the new convenience and safety features, and the hit in fuel economy worth the expense for you?

How many miles are on your car? Where are you located?

·
3,641 Posts
I have been present for a battery harness install which included the battery removal, and I wouldn't recommend it for the layperson.

You can buy the harness and charger on 99mpg.com from Mike Dabrowski.

You will hear various degrees of disagreements from others, but the bottom line is that High Voltage can kill you. Proceed at your own risk after you sign the liability waiver forms.

·
3,641 Posts
I am in Florida so snow is not an issue and I have about 168,000 on the car.

I always heard Hondas are well made I did not know they were that good. You bring up a great point that it may in fact be better to invest in the car if it can really go to 2,3,or 500,000 (gas alone would make that worth it). Although I like bigger car safety features (either my car is small or my cloaking device is on :D)

I may give it a shot in fixing it myself, but I am going to do more research (do you have any advice on fixing it myself?)
These little cars were made alongside the Acura NSX. Very well engineered, probably better than a typical Civic.

I would try to get together with some other Florida owners and join forces to get sort out the battery issue. You may be able to get away with the harness install and a charger purchase and revitalize your current battery. I would consult Eli, or Mike D. among others after you have pulled the codes from the OBDII reader.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again!

Is it easy to get in touch with them? Being new to the board I do not know how exactly to get in touch with them. The code according to the Honda dealer was P1447 (If that is the code you are talking about)

A big thanks again! I was starting to think I might have to give up the little girl :smile:

These little cars were made alongside the Acura NSX. Very well engineered, probably better than a typical Civic.

I would try to get together with some other Florida owners and join forces to get sort out the battery issue. You may be able to get away with the harness install and a charger purchase and revitalize your current battery. I would consult Eli, or Mike D. among others after you have pulled the codes from the OBDII reader.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not see this post, I just contacted Mike

I am sorry, I did not see this post when I asked how to get in touch with Mike D. I just went to 99mpg.com and left him a msg. Hopefully the charger will work but I will watch for the high voltage. If it sounds too scary I will bite the bullet and have the dealer do it (my life is not worth trying to save a grand)

I have been present for a battery harness install which included the battery removal, and I wouldn't recommend it for the layperson.

You can buy the harness and charger on 99mpg.com from Mike Dabrowski.

You will hear various degrees of disagreements from others, but the bottom line is that High Voltage can kill you. Proceed at your own risk after you sign the liability waiver forms.

·
Super Moderator
5,117 Posts
You can easily R & R the battery yourself. It is not scary when you follow one of the many sets of available instructions. And a dealer is not going to install a charger harness for you. You will have to do this yourself or find an independent mechanic. If you add your location to your profile you might find a helpful Insight owner close by.

Sam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Rainsux!

Thank you for the info, I did not even know anything about a charger harness (I am learning so much!)

Good point about putting up my location. There may be people nearby

Andy

You can easily R & R the battery yourself. It is not scary when you follow one of the many sets of available instructions. And a dealer is not going to install a charger harness for you. You will have to do this yourself or find an independent mechanic. If you add your location to your profile you might find a helpful Insight owner close by.

Sam

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Mike D. just posted a 1+ hour video of opening up the battery box and pulling the battery, among other things, in this grid charger thread:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/22663-grid-charger-power-supplies-5.html#post246635

He also just wrote a bit about buying his grid charger harness for use with the home-made chargers, and also about his refurbed older grid chargers selling for $400...

Here's another contact for a battery supplier, forum user:
http://www.bumblebeebatteries.com/index.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is great info!

This is great info, thank you! I am going to watch that video and contact the Bumblebee people.

Andy :smile:

Mike D. just posted a 1+ hour video of opening up the battery box and pulling the battery, among other things, in this grid charger thread:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/22663-grid-charger-power-supplies-5.html#post246635

He also just wrote a bit about buying his grid charger harness for use with the home-made chargers, and also about his refurbed older grid chargers selling for $400...

Here's another contact for a battery supplier, forum user:
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC - Honda Hybrid Batteries - Home

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello All
1. Can I put in the new pack myself (I have no clue how heavy it is or how difficult all the plugs are) and
My father and I picked up the battery and pulled it to install MikeD's harness without a lot of problems. It's about 80 pounds, the big problem is where it is, you have to have your arms extended to start. With 2 people, not a big problem. Once it was out I could pick it and move it easily enough. (If you can pick up something that's about 80 pounds).

By yourself, I don't think it's possible, without some system/hoist like an engine hoist.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,708 Posts
It can be done by one person.
Ask Jeff, he does a lot of them solo.
50 pounds is probably closer to the weight.

Willie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks

Thanks for the heads up, I am pretty strong but the placement may make it tough like you were saying

My father and I picked up the battery and pulled it to install MikeD's harness without a lot of problems. It's about 80 pounds, the big problem is where it is, you have to have your arms extended to start. With 2 people, not a big problem. Once it was out I could pick it and move it easily enough. (If you can pick up something that's about 80 pounds).

By yourself, I don't think it's possible, without some system/hoist like an engine hoist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts