Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5sp MT w/AC
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been sitting for a few months so I took it for a 5 mile drive. The brake light is stuck "on" with a little tension on the brake handle. When I started, the IMA came on that the engine ran normal. A mile later, going downhill in 2nd gear to charge the battery, it looked goo and the IMA charged to full. When I tried to accelerate the engine will not go over 4200 RPM, and of course the IMA light came on. Brought it home, shut it off, restarted and in neutral it the RPM's worked normally - for about a minute - then back to stalling at 4200? I had just fully charged the 12V battery before the drive. I'll put the grid charger on, but I have never had the stalling with a low battery pack/IMA. Has anyone else have and corrected this problem?

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5sp MT w/AC
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
. Check your ground straps and load test battery and pull the ima codes and get back to us on the results.
I'll check the ground straps for corrosion. I a new one on last year. Did you mean to say load test the regular battery or were you referring to the re-charging the hybrid battery with my grid charger? I have a OBD reader...will it pull up IMA codes or is there a separate procedure for that? Thank for the reply.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Yes sir . The 12 volt needs to be load tested at a autozone or put on load tester sometimes there a bad cell and you wont see that with just charging the battery . Use the search box there is a post on how to blink out the ima codes for the ima. Your basic scanner wont do ima codes there are subcodes we need more info.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,599 Posts
While you are at it, please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Make sure the 12V battery is fully charged before the "load" test.

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5sp MT w/AC
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Willie, I've been a member and posted since 2011; however, none of my old post show up! Furthermore, when I go to "About" on profile I cannot post my location - or for that matter, anything else. I live in Columbus, IN and I have had the car since then. Rebuilt battery, grid charger, new A/C - because when the old one froze there wasn't enough horsepower to keep the engine running at idle.....and of course it died 20 miles from home, in the pouring rain....it is what it is! Just now charging the battery to full so I can do the 20 sec draw down load test.

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5sp MT w/AC
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While you are at it, please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Make sure the 12V battery is fully charged before the "load" test.
I topped off the battery to 100%, ran the load test (man that old style heater type load tester gets hot!)....passed the test. Put the battery charger back on and it was still at 100%. Then I drove it to the rpm cut out limit in 1st and 2nd over a 5 mile loop and it did not stall at 4200??? When I got home the idle surged 6-8 times from 1400 up to to 2400 and back, and then settled to a rough 1400 RPM idle. I'll look up the way to read the codes without a Honda OBD reader and get back tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,599 Posts
To include information about you, click on your AVATAR located at the top right hand corner of this page. Scroll down to ACCOUNT SETTINGS, click on that, fill out what you want, scroll down to bottom and click on save....Done.

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5sp MT w/AC
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To include information about you, click on your AVATAR located at the top right hand corner of this page. Scroll down to ACCOUNT SETTINGS, click on that, fill out what you want, scroll down to bottom and click on save....Done.
Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts