Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sadly am selliing my red one owner 2000 insight with 190,000 miles. This car is NOT running, and is being sold as is/where is in SE Iowa.
This car was my daily driver since 2000, up to a couple of weeks ago when the engine seized up. I am assuming that the engine will need replaced, but have not looked into it further.
I have been told by several folks that I should sell it to a junkyard for scrap, but would really like to see someone put it to use as a parts car, or even repair.

Here is a summary of the condition:
1> Engine: Original engine seized up. Most likely needs replaced.
2> Transmission: Manual. Has had the common issues with grinding when downshifting into second gear above 18MPH for many years. Otherwise works normally.
3> IMA system: Has the original IMA. The batteries failed 2 years ago and I had the IMA disconnected and had been driving it gas only since then. It was still getting better that 50MPG gas only! At the time it was disconnected, the rest of the IMA components worked fine.
4> Tires: Need replaced. I actually had them scheduled to be replaced, but dodged that expense by a couple of days!
5> Body: All original. This vehicle has not been in a wreck, other than one small dent just behind the drivers side rear wheel.
6> Glass: There is one small rock chip in the windshield that happened about ten years ago. It has not spread.
7> Exhaust: There was starting to be a little noise near the engine, but never really looked into it. The muffler was replaced a couple of years ago.
8> Brakes: Were still in good condition. Had work done on them a couple of years ago.
9> Driving: This car still drove like new. It tracked down the road great and the steering was still nice and tight.
10> Interior: In decent shape considering the age/use. There is one small hole in the driver's seat. The carpeting is worn near the gas/brake pedals. A couple of small scuffs here and there.
11> The A/C worked great last summer. This vehicle has an after market cruise control that works fine.

Is there any interest? If so, I can post pics or send them directly.

Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
Price and pics needed. A friend of mine may be interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just realized that this is the only picture I have with me at work.
Will post more tomorrow night.
Since this is the first time that I've tried to sell it, would like to start at $2500 OBO. It will be negotiable if not takers at that price.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,326 Posts
I'm curious why the engine "seized".

Willie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me too... I was driving down the highway at 55MPH and started decelerating at a speed zone. Heard a little squealing noise for a couple of seconds and the engine stopped. When I tried to start it again, the starter would not even turn over the engine. I'm not a mechanic, but have heard of issues with the timing gear at around this mileage and have heard that if it goes, the engine is basically shot?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,326 Posts
If the engine had "seized" you would have had black skidmarks on the highway..... Wait, I pushed in the clutch pedal and the engine stopped. It would not restart.
Is that what you meant?

No timing gear problems reported. I have heard of 1 timing chain snapping though.

More info needed, or sell it as parts.
Willie

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Check your PM's I'm Interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts