Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to this hybrid cars thing and I bought a 2000 insight for a mph car. Everything worked correctly when I bought it,phenomenal mileage and all. one day the ima light came on and I never thought anything about it,what is this telling me? Are the batteries bad? Could it be the grid charger? Because it no longer charges my 12v up front and causes that to die, which causes no spark. Therefore non driveable... Any help is greatly appreciated on diagnostics or the best route to fix, Thanks!!

·
6,916 Posts
The IMA light is the equivalent of the Check Engine light for the IMA (hybrid) system.

So, you need to have your error codes checked just like you would to diagnose a check engine light. There are codes for nearly every conceivable problem, so there is no need to guess. Most auto parts stores will do this for free, or you may buy a tool yourself.

More than likely though, you will have a P1449-78 for Battery Module Deterioration, perhaps also a P1447 or other battery codes. It is also possible that you will have codes unrelated to the battery, but they are rare.

A grid charger is a viable solution; this could buy you up to 2 years before the internal resistance of your battery is just simply too high to function in the demanding car environment. At that point, you would need a new or rebuilt battery.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just went through the same thing you are. I have a 2010 Insight turns out it was a blown fuse. Changed the #53 fuse and the ima charging light went off immediately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Suzris
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing