Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to this hybrid cars thing and I bought a 2000 insight for a mph car. Everything worked correctly when I bought it,phenomenal mileage and all. one day the ima light came on and I never thought anything about it,what is this telling me? Are the batteries bad? Could it be the grid charger? Because it no longer charges my 12v up front and causes that to die, which causes no spark. Therefore non driveable... Any help is greatly appreciated on diagnostics or the best route to fix, Thanks!!

·
7,032 Posts
The IMA light is the equivalent of the Check Engine light for the IMA (hybrid) system.

So, you need to have your error codes checked just like you would to diagnose a check engine light. There are codes for nearly every conceivable problem, so there is no need to guess. Most auto parts stores will do this for free, or you may buy a tool yourself.

More than likely though, you will have a P1449-78 for Battery Module Deterioration, perhaps also a P1447 or other battery codes. It is also possible that you will have codes unrelated to the battery, but they are rare.

A grid charger is a viable solution; this could buy you up to 2 years before the internal resistance of your battery is just simply too high to function in the demanding car environment. At that point, you would need a new or rebuilt battery.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just went through the same thing you are. I have a 2010 Insight turns out it was a blown fuse. Changed the #53 fuse and the ima charging light went off immediately.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Will not start after I did this...
Did you hold the key for a few seconds for the starter to kick in? If you followed the instructions correctly,( flipped the battery switch and unplugged the 2 bcm plugs) the starter will start the car unless yours is bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did quite a few times and tried some other ways too. So if it started before when it was all still plugged in does that make a difference?

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
B-hahn45;
Please include your location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You
willie

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
The sequence as it usually happens: The IMA light comes on and at some point the battery light also, the dc-dc which works off the IMA battery quits charging the 12V battery, 12V usage exhausts the 12V battery, the car stalls as you indicated. At this point, you 12V battery is a. discharged with no way to charge, or b. the 12V was marginal and is now dead. Take the 12V out and have it load tested at an automotive store.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did quite a few times and tried some other ways too. So if it started before when it was all still plugged in does that make a difference?
Had batt
Sounds like the starter may be bad or stuck from not ever being used.
Did get it push started,starter just clicks,but aside from that the battery light is off! However in 1st hear above 3k rpms it comes back on for a while,than shuts off. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, light will not turn on...any ideas there?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had batt

Did get it push started,starter just clicks,but aside from that the battery light is off! However in 1st hear above 3k rpms it comes back on for a while,than shuts off. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, light will not turn on...any ideas there?
the battery light flickering is normal. I think at high rpms the battery light may come on but it should go away once you get the rpm's down. So was it your 12v battery that just needed charging up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the battery light flickering is normal. I think at high rpms the battery light may come on but it should go away once you get the rpm's down. So was it your 12v battery that just needed charging up?
Okay thank you,and I did charge it up and it does the same thing. So I'm not sure if it is a faulty starter or what it could be? However when i do try to start it, the starter will try to start it in jolts it seems like, while some relays in the cabin or something click, or click when its trying to turn over.

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
Once had an Insight which had that starter behavior. I never did get it sorted out, but I now think it may have something with that relay which clicks in after the delay. I'll see if I can chase it down on the schematics. I assume the battery charge is adequate so that the dash lights don't dim when you try. Is that correct??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once had an Insight which had that starter behavior. I never did get it sorted out, but I now think it may have something with that relay which clicks in after the delay. I'll see if I can chase it down on the schematics. I assume the battery charge is adequate so that the dash lights don't dim when you try. Is that correct??
They do dim a tad Bit,but I believe it has always done that. Maybe the normal dim when you turn a vehicle over?

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
In the Electrical Troubleshooting Guide the entire starting schematic is show on page 21. Two relays, the ignition switch, and the ECM are all in play.

Seems the 2-3 second delay is created in the ECM, since no other component contains a timer, iiuk.

It looks like you could do some strategic testing with just a jumper wire, but you need the schematic to mound a strategic approach.

You can find downloadable pages from the ETG here on the site, but you need to do a bit of searching.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts