Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Insight, manual transmission, 112K miles, that I've been driving for 10 years, but can't afford to maintain anymore. Needs a home with someone who either has the know-how to do some significant repair work, or could put her parts to good use.

Honda tells me that the IMA battery is failing, along with the battery condition monitor and the IMA motor control module. I had all three of those things replaced in May 2012, so the IMA battery is still under full-replacement warranty for two more months. I'm still able to drive it for now, but the battery doesn't hold a charge.

Going full-disclosure here, but feel free to ask me about anything I don't mention.

Paint job is pretty bad (but no rust), seats are pretty worn. Driver's side window doesn't roll down (that happened after they did all the work on it in 2012, probably an easy fix I just don't know how to do).

A/C and heat work fine. All lights and mirrors are good. Recently replaced oil pan, passenger-side sideview mirror and starter battery (in that order).

Bought this as a salvage 10 years ago, so it has that noted on the title, if that matters. I'm located in northern Indiana a couple of hours outside Chicago.

I'm quite emotionally attached to this car, so it's a tough decision to give up on her. I know the innards are worth something (and I realize that saying this opens me up to dishonest answers), but I honestly don't know what I can expect to get for this car.

What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
cannot see it. no pictures. i got my car when the battery kicked out the IMA light and CEL so it went to auction after the previous owner donated it.

i was able to restore the pack and it now holds a charge and works normally.

i have restored 2 IMA packs now using the discharge and balance charge cycling.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had all three of those things replaced in May 2012, so the IMA battery is still under full-replacement warranty for two more months.
If the battery is still under warranty, get that replaced (nothing else if they want to charge you) and then come back and ask again.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Welcome to IC!

112k miles is considered low miles for these cars. Engines go well beyond 300k if maintained correctly.

The modules you mention rarely go bad. I think when Honda techs see the IMA light they often just start throwing parts at it. Likely, you could get some more time out of those batteries, but agree with above, if dealer says it's bad, have them replace it!! It will be a reconditioned one, but should get you many years of use.)

Invest in a grid charger to maintain your battery.

These cars are rare, and gain value proportionately as oil prices rise.

Here are my unscientific observations:
Car with only 112k miles and new battery can fetch $5000 or more
Car with IMA light (weak or failing battery) $1000-3000 or more.
Complete service records with all maintenance? Adds value.
Deduct some for salvage title,Mobutu after all these years and with the age of the car, that should not be all that much.
Paint, tire, interior conditions contribute to value. Transmission grind? Deduct a few hundo more. Citrus color can add $$$ for the right buyer. Values are all over the place though.
What color is yours?
Good luck!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Miles are lower but with salvage title and bad IMA....not worth a ton in my book. I find these regularly for under $2000 with the bad IMA. Even with the IMA fixed, it's recommended to pay 60% of book for a salvage titled vehicle.

I'd fix it and drive another 100K myself.

·
Linsight Designer
1,997 Posts
The computers aren't bad. Honda for some reason always wants to replace them, but if the battery is under warranty, they are legally required to service the battery for free. If they want to replace the computer for a fee and you don't want to pay, they must replace the part that's under warranty.

Then if the car truly is a train wreck, sell it for just the IMA and you'll make a LOT more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys so much for the advice. I took it to a different Honda dealer for a second opinion and – lo and behold – they said the modules are fine and replaced the IMA under warranty. I'm so glad you all convinced me to give it another chance.

I'm going to keep driving it for now and fix up some of the smaller things, maybe give it a new coat of paint to make it more appealing for when I do sell it.

@EricBecky, I'll be in touch for some pointers.

@Freezin4, mine is silver/grey, so not as exciting as a citrus but I will keep that in mind when I look into painting it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts