Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday, my shifter went dead and I was stuck in 3rd gear. The shop says the shifter cable broke and they cannot get the part. I tried several places online around the country. I order the part from their website and I get an email the next day that they don't really have the part. I am looking for part# 54310-S3Y-003. Does anyone have any ideas before I go to the junkyard?

Thanks,

Nelson
2000 MT 105000miles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
On Friday, my shifter went dead and I was stuck in 3rd gear. The shop says the shifter cable broke and they cannot get the part. I tried several places online around the country. I order the part from their website and I get an email the next day that they don't really have the part. I am looking for part# 54310-S3Y-003. Does anyone have any ideas before I go to the junkyard?

Thanks,

Nelson

2000 MT 105000miles.

Have you tried Honda they list it on the parts web sights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
442 probably has one to sell you.

Sam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I tried HondaPartsNow, Primo Honda in San Carlos, Braman Honda in Palm Beach, FL and Honda Heaven in San Jose as well as my local honda dealer Larry Hopkins. They all say that they can't get it because it is discontinued and returned my money.

I emailed this guy in Toledo, OH. Has anyone dealt with him?

"https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/d/g1-honda-insight-used-auto-parts-parts/6878428409.html"

If that doesn't work, I'll contact the custom cable guy.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,333 Posts
Mixed reviews on that seller. Need a better link.

Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You
Willie

·
Super Moderator
8,857 Posts
Like Rainsux says, Honda hybrid442 in MD. At least he is a reliable shipper.

Send him a query by PM (top right on screen).

And, BTW, if you are going to try to support this 19 year old car, you should be reading IC regularly - not just when you have a problem. The cars are still supportable, but many times it is with used parts. ;-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read IC every week when I get the email. I am not a modder. I got the car last year. I got the recalls done, computer replaced, light switch recall, brake handle recall. I got a grid charger and tapped it into the battery leads. I topped off the battery a few times. I haven't had time to do the light bulb thing.

A broken shifter was a little unexpected.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,333 Posts
Maybe post a pic of the broken cable and Insighters at ICCN can help fabricate something..

·
Super Moderator
8,857 Posts
I read IC every week when I get the email.
Great! Good luck with the cable. It might take a few days, but someone will have one. Send a PM to Honda hybrid442:)

If nothing works after a while, try the Toledo guy, but make sure you talk to someone and they understand you need it right now!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I PM'd hybrid442 and haven't gotten a response. I found 2 pick-n-pull places that have 4 G1 Insights. From YouTube, it looks like pulling the cables out involves removing the center console cover and 3 cotter pins and one nut on the shifter side. I'll have to get my car back from the shop and check it out.

·
Super Moderator
8,857 Posts
He works days;)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Your in Cali, the man on west coast is Scott,,klr3clry. Check the post,,he has several parts cars in California,,that a rare failure for a 5 Speed,,I'd get a second opinion on that .The car will not shift to neutral.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll have to get the car back and pull the cable myself. It doesn't shift at all and the stick is loose like it is disconnected. It is stuck in 3rd gear so I can clutch it up to speed and I am good anywhere from 0-40mph so long as I don't have to back up. I took it to the dealer hoping to be back on the road in a day, but it has now been a week. Biking to work is probably a good thing for me. But it is becoming too much of a good thing. I'll hit the pick-n-pull on Saturday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm back on the road. Natalya was right. I found the cables at the Pick-n-Pull in good condition. Someone had already grabbed the transmission, so half my job was done. I fed the cables through the firewall, greased up the bushings, and reattached the C-clips and new cotter pins and it's good as new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discontinued... but undaunted

Wouldn’t you know it, my shifter cable just broke too.

I bought this 00 MT three weeks ago to replace my previous 00 MT after a minor fender bender resulted in a “total loss”. Anyway my new car has 170k less miles on it and already had the ISB replaced and synchro mods done (saved me a PiTA) HOWEVER when they were putting the tranny back in, they put the lifting bracket in the wrong place and when they tightened everything up, it pinched one of the shift linkage cables. Now I’m sitting beside the freeway SMDH waiting for a ride home so I can cannibalize ANOTHER part off my old car.

Never a dull moment huh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts