Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip to France with the wife in her blue 2001 40,000 mile UK Insight, and thought members might be interested in some stats.

Minimal luggage to keep weight down. I drove all the time. We are pretty big people, so probably at Insight weight limit.

Weather fine, good temps 20-30C, stock tires inflated to 50psi, running Shell Optimax 97/98 octane or equivalent. Standard 0W/20 oil.

Overall 1965 miles.
Overall 93.5mpg.

Best segment was in UK, 283 miles non stop 112.3 mpg, steady 50-60mph motorway driving, keeping with restricted 56mph lorry convoys.

Worst segment was above in reverse hurrying home 80mph at end of trip 76mpg.

Total fuel for trip 1965/93.5mpg = 21 imperial gallons or 95.34 litres.

Fuel cost 95.34 x £1.00 per litre average cost. £95.34!! Very cheap in UK terms.

Pretty uneventful except for one segment in France when IMA assist stopped, but charging continued until battery was completely full, then regen stopped. Then no assist/regen until we had stopped for an hour and came back to vehicle, I put it down to either Battery temp issue, (I did not hear any fans, and had not been using a great deal of assist prior to this?) or some other IMA glitch of no consequence. Anyway seems like a one off as no CEL or IMA light.

Well pleased.

Regards

Peter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Peter, nice to hear your experience.

We took ours across the channel to France last Christmas, I loved driving the Insight on those perfectly surfaced French motorways! Although it would have been nicer if hybrid drivers are offered some discounts on the toll sections! We didnt achieve your impressive MPG figures though...

On another note, did you find any difference in fuel economy and performance when running on Optimax?

Kenneth

·
Administrator
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Optimax

Yes I do believe higher octane fuel helps by a few mpg at the upper edges of lean burn etc. Difficult to measure though, just a gut feeling.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I've verified the same.

But only in a 5 spd (lean burn) and only when driving in the hyper MPG style. Also the price difference here in the States .20 / gal +- makes it less economical. The MPG increase is _small_, well under 5%.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts