Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a creampuff. Over 250kmi. Bumblebee battery. Runs. Includes grid charger/discharger.
Please forgive lack of photos and data, I wasn't really intending to sell, but wife wants it gone.
I'll post more data and photos if anyone expresses interest.

Thanks;
mefla (aka James)

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi hondarider90 - right now the clutch master/slave cylinders need replacing. It has the synchronizer problem in the transmission. I have the clutch parts, just need time to get to it. I'll fix that, drive it some and let you know if anything else pops up.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh lordy no! The transmission shifts smoothly and doesn't make any grinding noises at all. You can't downshift through to first gear without double-clutching it. That's why I'm having to fix the clutch slave/master cylinder, it wears out the seals in those parts when you double-clutch.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And BTW: Almost all Honda Insights over about 130k have the problem - it was a problem you could also see in manual transmission Civics, but there are so many Civics being sold, it got fixed pretty quickly there. KLR3CYL fix for it is to swap in one of his transmissions where he's already replaced the synchronizer gear with a superior part. It's $750, but it fixes the problem permanently.

·
Registered
856 Posts
And BTW: Almost all Honda Insights over about 130k have the problem - it was a problem you could also see in manual transmission Civics, but there are so many Civics being sold, it got fixed pretty quickly there. KLR3CYL fix for it is to swap in one of his transmissions where he's already replaced the synchronizer gear with a superior part. It's $750, but it fixes the problem permanently.
I know about the fix. I fixed mine by swapping out to a HCH transmission. My little car just has too many issues. I'll probably swap over my seats and transmission to this one if I got it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I really never have time to travel in the winter anymore though so I'd be more looking at someone wanting to take a road trip out here to drop off a car then have their flight and hotel(s) paid for. It's probably about a two day trip. I'm just working an insane amount and driving like 50k miles plus a year and my little car got in an accident so I'm forced to take the Escape which gets about 22 at 80.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man, believe me, I feel you. There were a couple times when I did major work on the Insight where I had it down for a week or two (bumblebee battery first time and entire exhaust system replacement) and I had to drive a 2006 Ford F150 to work. Went from that 60mpg down to 14mpg and it about killed me.

I got you loud and clear on your last posting - looking at someone who can drop the car off and fly back. That has been my understanding from the beginning of the conversation. I'm impressed that you did a transmission swap to resolve the synchronizer problem - you have the level of experience I'm looking for in a buyer. I don't want to sell to someone that's not familiar with the car or with our forums here.

Let me get some work done on the car and give it a few good test drives to make sure all's good. When I've got it into a trip-worthy condition, I'll ping you with some photos.

I very well understand your lack of time - it's the same here with me as well. It's rare I get time off like I did for Christmas. My employer did a Christmas shutdown this year so I'm trying to put the time to good use. I didn't slot in any Insight work, but I'll try to do so and see if I can come up with some good results by this weekend. If so, I'll message you and send a few pics.

Thanks;
James

·
Registered
856 Posts
Ok, there's a couple people I'm talking to about cars just so you're aware. I don't want you to do a lot of stuff you wouldn't otherwise. If you actually ended up doing the trip and I sent you here then I would follow through but nothing is a sure thing right now. If I end up having you come here it would be at that point.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A-OK, no problem, no problem.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,558 Posts
Hover over his avatar and his Location will be shown.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all!
Please forgive my delay responding, I got tied up with work and stuff. The insight is still available. Unfortunately, I still need to install the clutch slave cylinder. But I'm glad to do that if someone wants to get serious about buying the car.
James

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
(to be clearer - yes, it's still available. :-D )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts