2003 Honda Insight CVT, 2001 Honda Insight MT, 2000 Honda Insight MT
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
-148K miles
-5-speed MT
-64.1 lifetime mpg
-Exterior: Good condition with minor imperfections with age
-Interior: Good condition-clean, well maintained
-Hybrid battery: runs good with no lights or codes. It is NOT under warranty, but has been operating good. I use a Prolong grid charger/discharger to keep it in shape.
-Well maintained

HIGHLIGHTS:
-Runs great, with no codes or lights
-A lot of upgrades (see below)
-Bridgestone RE 92 tires
-A/C-cold, just recharged with R-134A
-Headliner in great shape

UPGRADES/PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE
-New front struts
-New Gaz rear shocks
-Scott's front and rear springs
-Replaced brake lines with Nickel Copper brake lines
-New front brakes
-New rear bearing hub
-New front bearings
-New engine mounts (all three)
-New radiator (November 20, 2021)
-Rostra cruise control with brake and clutch disengagement
-CALPOD-ability to disengage IMA regen/charge and assist (clutch switch)
-Solid underbelly panel
-S2000 steering wheel
-OEM radio with CD deck and rear pioneer speakers
-Rearview mirror/camera (for both front and rear cameras/views) for driving
-Rearview camera (license plate mounted with it's own display) for parking
-Prolong harness (charge/discharge)
-Alignment done at Firestone
-Dash buttons replaced (Instrument panel dimmer and trip buttons)
-All fluids changed

I fixed this up this summer with the expectation that it was going to become my main Insight, but my knees have another idea with the clutch in Norfolk, VA rush hour traffic. I wanted to the MT to finally get lean burn (own a CVT since 2006). Well I got a JDM lean burn CVT ECU, so my CVT will be able to lean burn as well. So, the 2000 MT is going up to sale so that someone can make it their daily driver.

OTHER:
The MT fluid fill hole was over-torqued and broke the ring at the fill hole. It was repaired with JB Weld (and the original piece). It does not leak and does it's job without issue. The bolt uses the original threads and I put a little silicon to keep it sealed between transmission fluid changes.

UPDATE:
This includes the Prolong Battery Discharger ($274 new) and the Prolong Battery Charger ($359 new) by Hybrid Automotive. This uses the Prolong harness to maintain and grid charge the hybrid battery.

Exterior Pictures
Interior Pictures
Engine Pictures
Transmission fill hole

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Solid car, fair price, nice to see one treated right. How often does it need grid charging to keep the lights off?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @jeffffej . I put a lot into this Insight to try to get it right.

Knock on wood, the Insight does not throw the IMA light or codes. I do the grid charging about once a month to top off the battery, which is just an overnight charge (maybe more often if I really ran the battery low). That helps keep the regen away...lol.

I do a complete charge/discharge (balance/maintenance) about every six months. The cycle of charge/discharge repeat for a total of three times takes about three days, but you can tell a difference afterwards.

I took some pictures of the Seats and Prolong Charger/Discharger. The driver's seat on the left side is worn, but has not gone thru the material. I found an extra driver's seat in my garage (it is the one in the pictures outside of the car/in front of the garage). The material is in much better condition, but does need cleaned (see pictures) and I am including it with the Insight.

The transmission shifts smooth both upshift and downshift through all the gears.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Lucasw thanks. I appreciate your interest and hope you find the right Insight for you, whether it be mine or a different one.

On a side note, I looked at the radiator yesterday when I was looking over the engine and decided to replace it as preventative maintenance. The new radiator will be in Saturday (thanks FedEX) and I'll plan on replacing it on Sunday...so add a new radiator to the list.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Seems like a well sorted car, if I cannot find one closer to me yours will be on the top of my list. Thank you.
As someone who's bought 3 Insights in the last year or so and looked about about 100 for sale I'll tell you this one is among the best you'll find in this price range. You can get a beater for half the price and it will need everything this car has had done to it. Or get this one. Sure you might pay $1000-$2000 more but for that you get a car that has obviously been loved with new radiator suspension brakes brake lines mounts bushings + all the upgrades...heck his upgrades (S2000 wheels, springs, discharger, charger, calpod, camera fluids speakers etc.) are worth >$1000 alone. All that and the A/C and paint are good and lower than average mileage. Heck it even has RE92s. Not to mention a great ad and great communication. These cars are getting pricier by the day thanks to gas prices....this is a very fair deal. A person who really wants one of these would buy this yesterday.

Don't wait. Someone who wants one is gonna scoop it up fast.

Reactions: HawkI

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Quick, snap this one up before Jeff convinces himself to buy it.😀
No no no Jeff is done buying cars for awhile. Just trying to help dude who wants an Insight to see the light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
-148K miles
-5-speed MT
-64.1 lifetime mpg
-Hybrid battery: runs good with no lights or codes. It is NOT under warranty, but has been operating good. I use a Prolong grid charger/discharger to keep it in shape.
-Well maintained

HIGHLIGHTS:
-Bridgestone RE 92 tires

-New front struts
-New Gaz rear shocks
-New front brakes
-New rear bearing hub
-New front bearings
-Solid underbelly panel
-S2000 steering wheel
-All fluids changed

I fixed this up this summer with the expectation that it was going to become my main Insight, but my knees have another idea with the clutch in Norfolk, VA rush hour traffic. I wanted to the MT to finally get lean burn (own a CVT since 2006). Well I got a JDM lean burn CVT ECU, so my CVT will be able to lean burn as well. So, the 2000 MT is going up to sale so that someone can make it their daily driver.

OTHER:
The MT fluid fill hole was over-torqued and broke the ring at the fill hole. It was repaired with JB Weld (and the original piece). It does not leak and does it's job without issue. The bolt uses the original threads and I put a little silicon to keep it sealed between transmission fluid changes.

UPDATE:
This includes the Prolong Battery Discharger ($274 new) and the Prolong Battery Charger ($359 new) by Hybrid Automotive. This uses the Prolong harness to maintain and grid charge the hybrid battery.

Exterior Pictures
Interior Pictures
Engine Pictures
Transmission fill hole
[/QUOTE
-148K miles
-5-speed MT
-64.1 lifetime mpg
-Well maintained

HIGHLIGHTS:
-Bridgestone RE 92 tires

-New front struts
-New Gaz rear shocks
-New front brakes
-New rear bearing hub
-New front bearings
-Solid underbelly panel
-S2000 steering wheel
-All fluids changed

OTHER:

UPDATE:

Exterior Pictures
Interior Pictures
Engine Pictures
Transmission fill hole
Hey, new to this website. I’m interested in buying. Am local

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Evan, thanks for the nice comments...and for the headlight cleaning tips at the maintenance day!!

First, the radiator has been replaced with a new one (thanks Evan for the advice of where to find them). System was then burped to get rid of any air and is working great!

@Layers I am in Chesapeake, VA and able to meet up with you after Thanksgiving Day. Family is in town celebrating with us today, but happy to connect you with my Insight... :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 🍗

·
Registered
3 Posts
Evan, thanks for the nice comments...and for the headlight cleaning tips at the maintenance day!!

First, the radiator has been replaced with a new one (thanks Evan for the advice of where to find them). System was then burped to get rid of any air and is working great!

@Layers I am in Chesapeake, VA and able to meet up with you after Thanksgiving Day. Family is in town celebrating with us today, but happy to connect you with my Insight... :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 🍗
Sounds good. I just sent you a text, did you get it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts