Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on purchasing a 2000 insight for $9000 with 44000 miles but then I spoke with my bank and they said they probably wouldnt finance it because there were recalls on this vehicle from 2000-2002. What are these and is there any wan I could still purchase it? Thanks so much for all your help!!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had no trouble using capitolone online financing. They approved it in less than an hour and I had the check the next morning (Saturday) via FedEx. The credit union had a little better interest rate and there was no prepayment penalty.

You can register at the link below and put in the VIN number if you have it, and it will tell you which recalls have been done. It lists 2 of them. One for emissions and one for the headlight connection.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=honda

There are lots of cars that had/have recalls.

If my bank said that, I would probably tell them I'm going to take my meager business across the street.

Good luck with it,
Robert

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased a 2000 manual with 30,000 miles for $9,800 in the summer of 2004. I got financing thru State Farm and it was easy. I also was approved thru my local bank - Citizens. Both places had no problem.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The only recalls are the ECM recall which is technically "emissions" related, but it really is a complete update on how the car operates reguarding the ima and some engine stuff. Some cars in a certain serial number range also have a DC/DC converter recall, which I would not personally do unless you have problems with it (that way you have a freebie in the future if it ever goes bad).

Also the most recent recall was the head light switch recall for the ground wire which can burn up and leave you without headlights.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The fourth is the parking brake. I have only had 1 of the 4 done (headlights because my low beams actually went out). Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
58 Posts
IMHO, that's the bank's way of telling you they don't want your business.

The Ford Focus has had more recalls than can be counted on one hand & there are tens of thousands of those out there. I'm sure they weren't all purchased with cash.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Heh, or the Ford GT's which are fetching a quarter million that had a recall for suspension castings that could crack and break resulting in a very bad crash. I know someone who is a half owner on one and they recieved spefic instructions to not attempt to drive the vehicle until those items were fixed.

I think I would try another bank.

And thanks Rick, I foregot about the parking brake recall (has anyone actually had a problem with their parking brake?).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the parking brake recall done... I HAD to! I parked in a friend's sloped driveway, set the parking brake, put it in first and got out. It was making a funny creaking sound, so I decided I'd better get in it and just park it on the street where it would be level. As soon as I sat down, it popped out of gear and I started rolling!

So, I would suggest getting the parking brake fixed before there's any trouble...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Did you ever adjust the packing brake? It does loosen over time and there is a nut to tighten it. If you're having to pull it all the way up it needs adjustment.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Its true that the cable can stretch with age and require adjustment. But its more common that the rear shoe adjuster lags behind proper shoe to drum clearance. Its been a Honda "thing" for over 20 years now. ;) Its best to snug this adjuster up every 15-30K miles or so depending on your driving demands. Part of a routine rear brake inspection (in the drum).

You'll get a firmer, higher brake pedal. Shorter stopping distances and reduce the risk of front brake rotor warpage, the dreaded steering wheel shudder _while_ braking. Typically caused by rotor overheating which increases without the rear shoes doing their share of the work.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
jaime_8_5 said:
I was planning on purchasing a 2000 insight for $9000 with 44000 miles but then I spoke with my bank and they said they probably wouldnt finance it because there were recalls on this vehicle from 2000-2002. What are these and is there any wan I could still purchase it? Thanks so much for all your help!!!!
Cool, I can answer a question finally and give back a little to the site.

Just this afternoon I purchased a 2000 Insight. Before doing so, I had my Honda service adviser look up any service bulletins would apply to this car. Here they are:

March 6, 2001
Applies to: 2000 Insight from VIN JHMZE1...YT004144 thry JHMZE1...YT005604
Product Update: DC-DC Converter
(Supersedes 00-093, dated November 21, 2000)

December 17, 2002
Applies to: 2000 Insight - ALL
2001 Insight with M/T - ALL
Emissions Recall: Insight ECM

March 6, 2001
Applies to: 2000 Insight - ALL
2001 Insight with M/T - From VIN JHMZE1...1T000001 thru JHMZE1...1T001923
Product Update: Insight Parking Brake Lever

March 6, 2001
Applies to: 2000-01 Insight: ALL
Safety Recall: Combination Light Switch
(Supersedes 04-015, dated March 28, 2004)

Any Honda dealer would be able to lookup any car's history given the VIN number and confirm if these issues have been taken care of.

I have these service bulletins. Do you guys have a collection of these somewhere on the site I haven't seen yet? If anyone wants copies, I could scan them.
-Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts