Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Reluctantly I would like to find a buyer for my low mileage 2000 Insight, one of the very earliest ones (chassis number in the 600s), and this one has a rather unique history.

At this moment, it has only 24330 original miles.

This Insight was originally purchased as a test vehicle by the National Renewable Energy Lab in Golden Colorado.

They bought the car new and installed thermocouples on the battery pack to run tests in order to ensure that the battery would not overheat. Evidently the car passed all tests, and they were done with it with only 3,300 miles on the ODO.

I have the NREL research report links on this EXACT vehicle (I can't post them though, not enough posts here apparently). I'll be happy to send if interested.

It sat in an NREL storage area in Colorado for the next 10 years. I bought the car at auction in 2010, in Albuquerque, NM. The car was in good condition other than old tires (and other rubber/plastic parts), paint sunburn and non-functioning battery pack. I got the various deteriorated items replaced and the battery pack repaired and drove the car for the next 5 years without a problem. When the battery pack failed in 2015, as a temporary measure, my Insight mechanic simply removed it and wired the car to run on gas engine power only.

With the very limited use the car has received, I never invested in repairing the battery pack (I still have it, but it would have to have a full servicing), and we've driven the car quite happily gas only.

Given the low mileage, the interior is generally 'as new', as is the engine and all mechanical parts. Here are the known issues:

1) the bezel is cracked after an attempt to repair the driver window power switch (the repair failed, and the switch still needs service, but now the window is up).

2) driver side power window not working (window motor OK, it's the switch)

3) Battery pack needs to be replaced/refurbished

4) Hatchback struts have failed, back opens with key only

5) Paint is sunburned (if you're interested I can send pics)

Everything else on the car is in great shape, including tires/wheels... the tires are new.

The car has served us well as a niche run-around, and has never seen long distance or even commuting use.

Given that it's usable as-is with a LOT of service life left, I'd like to get $6K for it.

If interested, please send an email to my username. I'm happy to provide pictures etc. and we'll see what we can work out.

Thanks, Randall

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Unfortunately, I think you are way off on the price, with all the malfunctions.

Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You
Willie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is in Albuquerque, NM. As for the price, I'm happy to keep it if it isn't worth something north of $4K to someone out there.

I wanted to give hobbyists/enthusiasts a shot at it, given the unusually low miles and the very little use that it gets.

If there is no interest, no problem. My annual cost to keep it is very low.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I agree with Willie your way off on price,bad paint bad battery ,interior dirty,missing crack panels,,only thing it's got going for it is miles,,3000 max,,any more I'd be scratching my head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts