Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Anybody else getting that low of MPG around here? I drive about 65% city and I realize its do to the cold but it would warm me to know someone else is suffering like me.
Joe :(

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
My winter mpg numbers take a pretty good dive also. This is mostly due to extra warmup idling time. The car also gets lower mpg on colder days for highway driving (45 - 65 mph). In the summer I can easily get 80+ mpg on these routes, in the winter it drops to 65 - 70 mpg. Usually I just give up up and take the interstate doing 75 mph and end up getting the same mileage.

Last winter I averaged 45 mpg due to all of this, but with plugin charging I have averaged just under 60 mpg so far this winter. So there was some improvement.

·
Registered
702 Posts
yea my numbers suffer pretty hard in the winter too...between just driving in the colder weather, and the necessity of letting the car run to warm it up to combat ice and snow i usually see about a 10mpg drop in the winter

i keep wanting to make myself a radiator block, but never seem to get around to it :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back in my early days with three winters in Montana I used pieces of cardboard to partially block radiator air flow to keep the engine and heater system at normal summer operating temperatures. By watching your temperature gauge carefully and keeping several sizes behind the seat back you should be able keep your Insight in a temperature range to help the fuel economy. I also manually shut of the engine at stops during the warm up period so I am at least moving during the warm up. I don't have any bright ideas to help on rolling resistance and drag when slogging through the snow. Occasional stops to knock out the built up snow and ice in the wheel wells helps to reduce the weight.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mine suffers pretty hard in city traffic, my last 250 miles averaged in at about 49mpg. I still get 60-65mpg on rural county roads, but stop and go, and fast highway speed kill my mpg in the winter. Lean burn is much more difficult to engage and sustain as there is very narrow window in cold weather. I find that slower (35-45mph) consistent throttle driving in 3rd or 4th gear can often yield more lean burn potential situations than 55-65mph highway driving in the winter. I also run different (all season kumho) tires on HX rims for the winter which surely take away a solid 5 to 10mpg.

·
Registered
539 Posts
uhtrinity said:
Last winter I averaged 45 mpg due to all of this, but with plugin charging I have averaged just under 60 mpg so far this winter.
Please explain what this means. You charge the pack by a plug in mod, and if so how does this increase mpg? ....or are you talking about a block heater?

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
I have been running a parallel pack mod since last spring, and also plugin charge those packs. I don't have a garage and use a simple cardboard radiator block in the winter.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Wow, so it is not exactly the plug in recharge, but the added assist you get from having the extra voltage that comes along with the second pack that increases mpg then?

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Exactly, for in town driving I am at 50% assist most of the time which allows the car to use less fuel. Not bad for a 10 cent nightly charge (~1.6 - 2.0 Ah).

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Joe - I drive to Akron (Fairlawn - Bath) area everyday....I hate to say it but I'm still pulling low 70's (but it's 90+ % highway). If I didn't have the radiator block, hot air mod. mima and FAS it would be much, much less. If you've got some of the mods, check the amount of slush etc around all the wheels - it can add a lot of drag.
Wayne

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Atlanta, INDIANA is also cold

This winter has been brutal on my mileage too. On one tankful I only got 55mpg but then I don't have a garage and the temp got up to 0 a few times. I do have a cardboard radiator block. Current tank is getting 60mpg but I have to really watch my speed. The car is a lot warmer inside than a Prius. Wish I could easily disable the ABS and have a little fun sliding around in the snow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have got 65 -70 when it has been around 27 degrees here. My best was 73 mpg at 27 degrees. I have a radiator block in place that blocks about 2/3s of the radiator. I am also running a Scangauge 2 so I can monitor my coolant temp, lean burn & LOD. I also have found it usefull to monitor instantanous MPG from the scangauge. It doesn't directly correlate to my over all MPG, but immediately lets me know if I am pushing on the throttle harder than I need to. My car is in a garage overnight, so that helps. The engine in these is so small, it is almost pointless to try to warm it up. Driving seems to be the best warm up. That first mile or 2 are what really eats your overall MPG. One time I drove for about 1 mile then reset my trip MPG. I got 76 going to work. If I measure it from the very start it is really 65 - 71.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gosh, I wish I saw this earlier. I have the same thing, 2000 MT live in Akron and if I'm driving locally (not benefiting from highway driving), I have to huff up the big valley every day for my commute, I get around 55 mpg in the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts