Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I have not purchased it. Maybe someone could chime in with what goes wrong with the CVT Transmissions and if the parts to fix it are in this kit.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Common problem is one of the big bearings starts making noise. And I can't imagine a proper rebuild without replacing the metal pulley which is over $600 alone.

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
If it ain't broke.....

Have we seen an actual failure of the variable pulleys? If so at what mileage and maintenance levels? I think there will be a demand for proper CVT rebuilds in the future.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
Yeah, kinda. I'd just like to have a better understanding of what goes on in a CVT like we do the the 5-speeds. I thought you would have data on the MTBF on these pulleys since you brought it up.

Sam

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
The same guy who would replace CVT pulleys? ;)

Sam

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
If I wasn't clear when I said metal pulley I should have said metal pulley BELT. A gear is a solid piece of steel that, absent of abuse or lack of lubrication, should last a million miles. The belt is made of 100+ links joined together, with then, 100+ wear points.

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
Yep. That's a whole different deal. I would at least inspect it for visual wear and play in the pins.

But how many have we had break?

Sam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts