Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of thinking, debating over the years if we were ever going to be able to get the cars back on the road, I have decided to sell both of them. I'd like to sell them whole, but might be able to part out the blue one.

2001 Monte Carlo Blue MT w/AC. Car has 280-290K miles on it. Car will start and drive, but it does start shutting systems off very quickly (power steering, power brakes, dashboard lights, etc). Car was last used as a daily driver in 2015. Gears to grind when dropping from 2 to 1 and possibly from 3 to 2, it has been a while I don't recall. A/C no longer works as well. I bought it new in Oct 01 (as a replacement to my 2000 silver Insight), although carfax may say there were multiple owners since I moved it from OH to VA and back to OH. The car took a beating over the years, deer ran into the driver's door 1.5 weeks after I bought it, someone at work backed into the front 1.5 weeks later. Then I hit a deer 1.5 weeks later on the way to an Insight meet-up in MA in Nov 2001, that required a new hood, passenger fender and headlight. After getting it fixed from that I ditched it in the snow, needed a new passenger fender, and A-arm. Two years later I was car #3 in a five car accident. Damage to the driver's quarter panel, this was in 2004, was not able to find a body shop that could work on it at the time. Moved to VA, came out to the parking lot at the apartment complex one day to find new damage on the rear bumper from someone hitting it. 2005 spun around on a narrow slick road, some minor damage to the rear bumper and the fuel gauge quit working properly. 2008 the first battery died. I was traveling for work, so I didn't have it fixed for a few years. 2011, had the battery and fuse box replaced and the fuel gauge fixed. 2012 the engine failed. 2013 had the engine rebuilt. Was bounced off a guardrail I think in late 2014, damage to the passenger side fender again, not repaired. When the car gave the same signs in early 2015 as it had in 2011, I decided it was time to let it die. But I never could fully decide if I wanted to repair it.

2004 New Formula Red MT. Car has 210K miles on it. Similar to the blue one, the car will start and drive, but does shut down as well. This one does need to be jumped to start even with the same battery used that the blue one will start off of. We purchased the car in 2008 used, Carfax had shown it was in an accident. I think in the time we had it, it only wound up with a paint transfer on the driver's side of the bumper. I had bought this car for my mom, but after the blue one died the first time, I would use this one while in town. Some of the issues this car has since we bought, it wouldn't register the passenger side door open, so the interior light doesn't come on, and it will let you lock the doors with that door open. At times the fuel door wouldn't pop open and the passenger side front turn signal won't work, it acts like the bulb is blown, but if the weather is right, it will work.

We have the titles to both cars, I'm still looking for the rest of the keys. I believe we have both key fobs, both black keys and the grey valet key for each car. I intend to spend time next weekend (out of town this weekend) cleaning the interiors of the cars. They have been sitting for years in the sun. Asking $1500 for the red one, $1000 for the blue one, or $2300 for the pair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took me a little longer than I anticipated to get photos of one of the cars and get more details. The 2001 Monte Carlo Blue MT only has ~279,150 miles on it at a lmpg of 55.9. When I started the car up I was surprised to see no error codes on the dash. The battery will charge to 4 bars after the car was running for a while. The Brake light is on as a brake line is busted. The car will run up and down the driveway and if I get it near 15 mph, it will enter into Auto-Stop. Not sure what happened, I thought that was broken in 2015 when the car was last regularly driven.

The New Formula Red MT has ~210,330. It does still show the IMA light and will only start off the 12V system (is a bit slow to start). It will run up and down the driveway as well, but Auto-Stop does not work due to the IMA issues.

All three keys and two key fobs have been located for both of the cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to post the picture of the dash of the blue car showing Auto-Stop activated. Also the radio that is currently in the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow... you might wanna perform an exorcism on the blue one. That thing is cursed.

But hey, I applaud your honesty. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I can say about the blue one, it has taken a beating and kept on ticking (well, with a little help from time to time). I'll try to get the pictures of the red one up this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts